cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End-to-end encryption on Dropbox content. How does it work?

End-to-end encryption on Dropbox content. How does it work?

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi are files sent from Mac or iPhone to Dropbox Cloud end-to-end encrypted?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @HealthFreak, I hope you're doing well!

Feel free to have a look here, in regards to your question.

If you have more questions, I think the best way for you to have an insight would be to check with the respective app on their end. 

Cheers!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

ROKYRAJ
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

End-to-end encryption (E2EE) is a method of secure communication that prevents third parties from accessing data while it's transferred from one end system or device to another. In E2EE, the data is encrypted on the sender's system or device, and only the intended recipient can decrypt it.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @HealthFreak,

You question is somewhat meaningless. Probably you want to ask if connection between your device (Mac or iPhone) from one side and Dropbox servers from other side is encrypted. If so, TLS1.2 is in use - might be not the best, but it's reliable enough. As @ROKYRAJ noted, end-to-end encryption (E2EE) is something different and doesn't fit in your question - it's more secure presumably (depends on how is realized). If you mean, is E2EE provided somehow from Dropbox? - No, it doesn't not.

Of course, you are not limited in any way to encrypt your content using third party software (syncing encrypted containers for instance - something very secure and widely used).

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I didn't ask for a definition of End-to-end encryption - I asked "are files sent from Mac or iPhone to Dropbox Cloud end-to-end encrypted?"

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@HealthFreak wrote:

I didn't ask for a definition of End-to-end encryption - ...

😯 Yes, you didn't ask, but seems have no idea what this means! 😁

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes - does it encrypt your data on your device before syncing it to the cloud?

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

ROKYRAJ wrote - End-to-end encryption (E2EE) is a method of secure communication that prevents third parties from accessing data while it's transferred from one end system or device to another. In E2EE, the data is encrypted on the sender's system or device, and only the intended recipient can decrypt it.

- So I don’t understand why you’re saying I don’t understand what it means and how this definition is different from my question - if files sent from Mac or iPhone to Dropbox Cloud end-to-end encrypted? - 

- ie if there is "End-to-end encryption secure communication that prevents third parties from accessing data while it's transferred from one end system or device (in my question - Mac or iPhone) to another (in my question - Dropbox)".

- "the data is encrypted on the sender's system or device (in my question - Mac or iPhone), and only the intended recipient (in my question - Dropbox cloud) can decrypt it" - or vice versa.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

OMG!!! There are many ways to protect some data.

One such a way is to encrypt data and store somewhere. If that's what you are asking for - No - Dropbox doesn't do it.

Another way is to protect data transmission between 2 points (usually a device and server). In such a way entire communication (including transferred data) are encrypted during transportation and protected. If that's what you mean - Yes - TLS1.2 is in use.

The 2 ways, mentioned, are completely different and independent from each other! Could be used only one, only other or in combination. In case of Dropbox one of the question's answer is Yes, another is No. 🙂 What is the correct one??? 🧐 Do you understand that you have put 2 different questions in single place (as a single sentence) and expect one answer?

Hope it's a bit more clear now.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

As far as I can understand your last clarification - Yes - in this context Dropbox protects your data. You mean connection protection and as I already said before - it's protected. Just don't put end to end encryption in your question, which is something completely different!!! That's what you are asking for is NOT end to end encryption!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @HealthFreak, how are you doing today? 

Have you taken a look into this Help Center article by any chance? If not, feel free to read it and let me know if you have any questions. 

Let me know more! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    HealthFreak Helpful | Level 5
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?