cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox support for macOS 12.3

Dropbox support for macOS 12.3

Anna R.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So I'm referring to https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/macos-12-monterey-support

Does this mean it will be 100% safe to upgrade to macOS 12.3 as long as I keep Smart sync to Local, please?

166 Replies 166

rfog
Collaborator | Level 9

I think they mix threads with the more or less same issue. I agree with you in relation about your computer is yours, but having a not last-minute updated system is a serious security risk this days.

cbonargent
Helpful | Level 7

I'm not sure what version of OS @Nunya_Business is using, but I have the same question.

For the moment my macOS is the latest version Sonoma, but Dropbox is v192.4.4605 which hasn't been updated since the new File system (been almost a year now...). Dropbox doesn't update automatically on my computer. It works basically fine, but how long before it stops working?

For the Mac users who have fully updated their Dropbox, I've only heard horror stories of slowness and malfunction, not to mention the list from Dropbox of expected problems for Mac users.

Has any Mac user fully updated and encountered no problems at all? Would appreciate some news on this: as we are not informed, it is impossible to know what's going on 😞

Nunya_Business
Explorer | Level 4

If I've gone to that much trouble to block DNS my security protocols are equally robust. Given the choice between having outdated security or letting Apple and Dropbox decide where my files and folders are, outdated security wins that battle 25 hours a day 8 days a week.

cbonargent
Helpful | Level 7

Just to clear up the (mis) information in my last post. After investigation, I do in fact have the latest version of Dropbox installed, under MacOS Sonoma, but I HAVE NOT migrated to File Provider. I've been ignoring the notification ever since it appeared in the DB icon in my toolbar last year. And Dropbox is still working fine for now.

So I just contacted the Help chat to ask if migration to File Provider was obligatory and they said no, the decision is up to the user, with no 'deadline' to migrate either. So if Dropbox works fine without migrating, I can simply continue as is, until further notice, which is what I will do. So far, so good... DB works the same as ever.

I thought that as long as the notification to migrate appeared in the DB icon, and I ignored it, that it wasn't updating Dropbox. But the migration to File Provider and Dropbox updates are apparently two separate things. Only the Dropbox update is automatic.

rfog
Collaborator | Level 9

It's quite fascinating that using the File Provider isn't mandatory in Dropbox. That being said, it appears to finally be working as expected in Sonoma. I still have a Mac running Ventura (it can't be updated further), where the File Provider is experiencing issues. Not with Dropbox, though, as I haven't been using it for about a year now, and my subscription ends in May. However, with Synology Drive, the experience has been more positive than my last encounter with Dropbox, despite the caveat that you need a substantial Synology NAS to manage the millions of files I deal with.

innermotion
Helpful | Level 5

Overall the migration to FP still is not working in many cases anyway. I manage IT at Smallish scale (10-100 device sites) and around 20% have issues moving. My own Dropbox will not update to File Provider no matter what i do, even though my Onedrive, Google Drive are working on that now for good or bad. Frankly DB have made an enormous hash of this and will lose subs.

cbonargent
Helpful | Level 7

If I had known from the beginning, that File Provider wasn't mandatory (as long as the DB software/platform worked) it would have simplified all the worry and hand wringing! My set-up is ultra simple, as a graphic designer the volume is more than reasonable even after a couple decades :))

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cbonargent Helpful | Level 7
    innermotion Helpful | Level 5
    rfog Collaborator | Level 9
    Nunya_Business Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?