cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox won’t install on Windows 11

Dropbox won’t install on Windows 11

Josie P.3
New member | Level 2

Hi, I have just got a new pc. I am trying to install Dropbox so all my files can download and Dropbox won’t continue after I have input the six digit code Dropbox sends me.  I’m at my wits end. I have no idea what to do and I can’t get any support from Dropbox until Monday. Can anyone help? I press the continue button but it just flashes and nothing happens. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

maher1982
Super User

Sorry to hear that.

Although I can't directly troubleshoot your specific issue, I can provide you with some general troubleshooting steps that might help you resolve the problem:

1. Ensure a stable internet connection: Make sure your internet connection is stable and working properly. This is important for the installation process and for Dropbox to sync your files.

2. Disable antivirus or firewall temporarily: Sometimes, security software can interfere with the installation process. Temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall software on your PC and try installing Dropbox again.

3. Run the installer as an administrator: Right-click on the Dropbox installer file and select "Run as administrator." This ensures that the installer has the necessary permissions to make changes to your system.

4. Clear temporary files: Clearing temporary files on your computer can help resolve any conflicts during the installation process. You can use the Disk Cleanup tool built into Windows to perform this task.

5. Try a different browser: If you're using the Dropbox website to download the installer, try using a different web browser to see if the issue persists. Sometimes browser-related issues can affect the installation process.

6. Uninstall and reinstall Dropbox (Make sure you’re installing the latest version of the Dropbox desktop app)

7. Restart your computer: Restarting your computer can often resolve temporary glitches and refresh system settings. After restarting, try installing Dropbox again.

I hope that one of those steps could help you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

maher1982
Super User

Sorry to hear that.

Although I can't directly troubleshoot your specific issue, I can provide you with some general troubleshooting steps that might help you resolve the problem:

1. Ensure a stable internet connection: Make sure your internet connection is stable and working properly. This is important for the installation process and for Dropbox to sync your files.

2. Disable antivirus or firewall temporarily: Sometimes, security software can interfere with the installation process. Temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall software on your PC and try installing Dropbox again.

3. Run the installer as an administrator: Right-click on the Dropbox installer file and select "Run as administrator." This ensures that the installer has the necessary permissions to make changes to your system.

4. Clear temporary files: Clearing temporary files on your computer can help resolve any conflicts during the installation process. You can use the Disk Cleanup tool built into Windows to perform this task.

5. Try a different browser: If you're using the Dropbox website to download the installer, try using a different web browser to see if the issue persists. Sometimes browser-related issues can affect the installation process.

6. Uninstall and reinstall Dropbox (Make sure you’re installing the latest version of the Dropbox desktop app)

7. Restart your computer: Restarting your computer can often resolve temporary glitches and refresh system settings. After restarting, try installing Dropbox again.

I hope that one of those steps could help you.

Josie P.3
New member | Level 2

Thank you very much for your help. I finally got it working after uninstalling Norton and Firefox, those were the only two pieces of software I had installed. I also cleared history and cookies on Edge, which was then my only browser. It took me three hours in the end to do it and 11 codes from Dropbox. It really shouldn’t be this hard with a brand new PC. I already had the installer downloaded and run, it was logging into my account where it failed. I’m also extremely disappointed that Dropbox Support weren’t open to help. Obviously never try anything with Dropbox at a weekend. I have office 365 so I’m kinda wondering what I pay Dropbox for when I could use One Drive for free 😟. It’s not like I’m ever going to get rid of Word of Excel. Thank you again for your help and advice. Joanne x 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Josie P.3, thanks for posting here! 

I'm glad everything is back on track. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to let us know. 

Thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Josie P.3 New member | Level 2
    maher1982 Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?