cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropboxcleanup.exe has stopped working - Windows 8.1

Dropboxcleanup.exe has stopped working - Windows 8.1

zx80
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I get the popup error message "Dropboxcleanup.exe has stopped working" about once every hour. This has been happening in the last 12 hours so I assume there's been a recent update. I'm on 168.4.4802. The error is happening as Dropboxcleanup.exe says it can't find api-ms-win-core-heap-l2-1-0.dll.

Thanks.

45 Replies 45

Jeremy N.2
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hello!

I'm on W8.1, not W7 - the W7 users seem to have a problem with a different DLL.

It shoudn't matter though about what's on W7 or W8.1 itself(**) - as (as far as I can see) every other DLL that Dropbox uses is shipped inside the application ... and that includes an older version of the api-ms-win-core-heap dll (at least, assuming that's what the slightly different numbers at the rh end of the filename mean).

** asuming always that the functions which the DLL in turn invokes are supported.

Jeremy N.2
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

In the question:

Dropboxcleanup.exe has stopped working - Windows 8.1

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Dropboxcleanup-exe-has-stopped-working-Window...

someone erroneously said the problem was solved, early on.  It is NOT SOLVED.   Maybe the reason that Dropboxers are ignoring the thread is that they think it IS fixed.

jukesy1992
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Come to think of it, my dropbox is set to not start when my computer starts, so why am I even receiving this message? I specifically did this because I haven't been using the program for quite some time, and I never expected anything like this to come up because if I'm asking a program to not start, then why should it start, or anything associated with it?

Jeremy N.2
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Because it's a side-effect of the scheduled task that attempts every hour to update Dropbox if a new version is available.

sammdesmond
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Jeremy N.2
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thank-you!  Finally someone has taken notice.

BUT, why has it taken so long to get a proper response?   Is there something that any of us users could have done, or should have done, that would have got a proper acknowledgment sooner?  This problem's been in discussion for 40 days.

Need more support?