cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropboxcleanup.exe has stopped working - Windows 8.1

Dropboxcleanup.exe has stopped working - Windows 8.1

zx80
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I get the popup error message "Dropboxcleanup.exe has stopped working" about once every hour. This has been happening in the last 12 hours so I assume there's been a recent update. I'm on 168.4.4802. The error is happening as Dropboxcleanup.exe says it can't find api-ms-win-core-heap-l2-1-0.dll.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sammdesmond
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

View solution in original post

45 Replies 45

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @zx80, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you try reinstalling the Dropbox desktop application using this link to see if this helps?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

zx80
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply Jay. I've re-installed and I'll know in an hour or so if the problem is gone. I'll update again then.

zx80
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jay. This worked. Thanks a lot.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries, glad to have helped out. If you need any further assistance in the future, please let me know.

Enjoy the rest of your week!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MadamCaptain
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same problem with the same operating system. I lurked and downloaded the latest Dropbox and installed it over the previous version. Perhaps I needed to delete the original first because nothing has changed. Every hour I get a new error message. Any more ideas?

Susan

zx80
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Susan,

So I was really annoyed by the message and so I'd already done this thing before I posted this message. I should have mentioned it.

I renamed the file "Dropboxcleanup.exe" to "Dropboxcleanupold" and the problem went away. I suppose I felt that the new install fixed the problem when maybe it didn't. That said, I can't find this file since I re-installed as per Jay's instructions. It seems to have been deleted. Maybe search for Dropboxleanup.exe and rename it? Or make a new post so the staff here see it and help you.

MadamCaptain
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I had to search for the file and found it in an "update" folder. I've renamed it to "DropboxcleanupFails.exe".  Hopefully this will stop the hourly messages, but I wonder what it was intended to cleanup.  It sounds like Dropbox might have a little problem with one of it's update files.  Thanks for the info!  I have a hunch this might just be the bandaid that I need!

zx80
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Good luck. Sounds like the location where I found it. It was under c:\users\[user name]\AppData in one of those folders. And I remember it was in the update sub-folder. But that is gone now since I re-installed it. So I don't imagine renaming it is a bad thing in your case. I've had dropbox installed on this machine since 2016 and this has been the only issue.

evilgrin72
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This did not work for me at all.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times, I renamed the file as suggested below, then I took Dropbox off my PC completely (or so it would seem......) but this error message just will not stop popping up.  I'm at a total loss here.  Please help!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jeremy N.2 Helpful | Level 7
    sammdesmond Dropbox Staff
    jukesy1992 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?