cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing an Excel file in Dropbox

Editing an Excel file in Dropbox

Leslie W.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Is it possible to edit an excel file on dropbox? The only way I see to do it is to download the file, edit it, and then reupload it. Is there any easier way?

11 Replies 11

vdauv
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the exact same problem.

I administrate the file and the documents inside the file. I can open on my computer the excel files but not online. The people I shared it with are not able to open and edit, but just download.

Was your issue resolved, and if so how?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @vdauv - sorry to hear about this and apologies for the tardy response.

Can you please let me know why you're not able to open this file (or files) online? Are you getting an error? If so, could you share a screenshot so we can have a visual too? While we're at it, have you tried any other browsers other than the one you normally use? 

As you describe the other users are not able to edit, did you by any chance shared a link with them and not a folder directly? Anyone with the link can view the contents, but can’t edit them. If you shared the folder normally and they still get the options to download only instead of opening or editing, it means that they don't have the appropriate software (i.e. Microsoft's Excel in this case) installed on their devices and also it could mean that the files haven't synced yet or that they don't have the desktop application installed and running. 

I hope this helps point you to the right direction and please keep me posted on your findings. Thank you in advance for your reply and feel free to include any information you think might help our investigation. Until we speak again, have a lovely day! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    vdauv New member | Level 2
    oiwe New member | Level 2
    4863 Explorer | Level 3
    Tim H.64 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?