cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: End-to-end encryption

End-to-end encryption on Dropbox content. How does it work?

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi are files sent from Mac or iPhone to Dropbox Cloud end-to-end encrypted?

13 Replies 13

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@HealthFreak wrote:

Anyway I really just wanted to understand whether this "Boxcryptor for Individuals" would provide better protection for the connection and transfer of files from my Mac/iPhone to Dropbox cloud.. and to iCloud for that matter.

@Здравко  wrote:

As @ROKYRAJ noted, end-to-end encryption (E2EE) is something different and doesn't fit in your question - it's more secure presumably (depends on how is realized). If you mean, is E2EE provided somehow from Dropbox? - No, it doesn't not.
Of course, you are not limited in any way to encrypt your content using third party software (syncing encrypted containers for instance - something very secure and widely used).

I can add here that "Zero knowledge" is form of E2EE. 😉

Hope this helps.

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It really doesn't 😞

HealthFreak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Megan would you please reply to my reply to you from a few days ago..

Thank you for the article. I didn’t find it as I was searching for "end-to-end encryption"!

I just wanted to understand whether this "Boxcryptor for Individuals" would provide better protection for the connection and transfer of files from my Mac/iPhone to Dropbox cloud? ..and to iCloud for that matter?

"Boxcryptor for Individuals" says - End-to-end encryption for your cloud data.. Boxcryptor encrypts all your data on your device before transfering anything to your cloud storage provider.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @HealthFreak, I hope you're doing well!

Feel free to have a look here, in regards to your question.

If you have more questions, I think the best way for you to have an insight would be to check with the respective app on their end. 

Cheers!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?