cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Get apk file in Dropbox to Downloads in Amazon Fire HD tablet 7th gen

Get apk file in Dropbox to Downloads in Amazon Fire HD tablet 7th gen

ClassicMovieFan
New member | Level 2

I have an apk file (Kindle format) I want to install on my Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet.

The tablet is a replacement for my HDX tablet, which finally died an ignoble death.  The app works on the other tablets and phones, but it does not "work" on the newer HD tablet. 

I think it will work if I can get it downloaded/moved and installed. 

(I tried Xender and other apps to get the file on the tablet in the right place, but no luck.  Amazon's proprietary version of Android is fussy and won't allow certain things.  Yes, I might be able to sideload it or root the tablet, but  don't want to at this time.  If I do those things, it is hard to update and some other quirks happen.)

The HELP section of DB said I should tap the action box and use MORE.  Well, HELP must be a little behind because there is no MORE anymore.  (Apologies to Gertrude Stein and the city of Oakland.)

How do I get the apk file (about 27mb) from DB to the storage/emulated/0/download location in the Fire HD?  Can it be done with DB?  If not, any suggestions?

Thanks.  All replies gratefully accepted.

7 Replies 7

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

If you’re looking to export a file from the mobile app, you can follow the steps below:
  1. Locate the file in question. 
  2. Tap on the vertical ellipsis (â‹®).
  3. Select Export
  4. Choose Save to device
  5. This will then prompt you to choose the location.  
To find more options than the one given by default you can tap on the three parallel lines that’s on the top-left corner of your screen which should provide you with more options. 

If it does not show you your SD card, tap on the vertical ellipsis (â‹®) that’s on the top-right corner of your screen and select Show SD card. 

If you’re still encountering some trouble with this or if I’ve misunderstood your concern, let me know, and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks in advance! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

zhura
Explorer | Level 3

huawei p30 pro

when trying to export apk from DB to internal memory - app crashes. other file type exported fine.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @zhura, thanks for nudging us on this thread - welcome aboard!

Out of curiosity, have you tried exporting the file while connected to cellular data or a different WiFi network?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

zhura
Explorer | Level 3

i've tried to export file with offline availability - so no network entanglement involved.

also - i've found that simple renaming file to *.apk.zip easily solves the problem 🙂

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for your swift reply, @zhura - awesome work with the workaround!

If you'd like to continue troubleshooting this, you can try exporting it while you're connected to a network and see if that does the trick. 

If not, I'm still here if you have any other questions. Let me know! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

zhura
Explorer | Level 3

i've tried of cause. with wifi and 4g - app crashes

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for checking that out for me, @zhura

In this case, I'd recommend continuing via email to have a better look into this matter.

I found the ticket that you have with a specialized member of the team and have passed your comments along to them. 

I can see that they replied to you, so when you have the chance, please check your inbox for their latest message. 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, just give us a shout. Thanks again!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?