cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I disable the quick access Dropbox icon?

How can I disable the quick access Dropbox icon?

AmettOmega
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I understand why some people may find this little icon useful. A quick way to access dropbox features, apparently! However, I don't have any use for it (and it's just as annoying as the little facebook messenger icon that hangs out on your phone when you get a message!). I've turned it off MULTIPLE times. It's really starting to tick me off that I've turned this stupid thing off time and again, but it keeps randomly popping up again (I'm assuming after you all release a software update or something). How do I disable this thing once and for all? Or is the only way to do that to uninstall your software entirely?

Also, I'm trying to post this and apparently none of the labels I'm using are right. Why even bother letting users type in their own labels when you're going to mark them as "not available" anyways? How unintuitive...
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @AmettOmega; how are you today?

I'm sorry to ask, but are you perhaps referring to the app's icon within your computer's system tray/menu bar

In that case, you can hide it but not disable it as long as our desktop app is running on your machine. If you quit the app though, it won't show up there as it won't be syncing any changes you make within your Dropbox folder on your computer. 

If you were, by any chance, referring to the Dropbox Badge, I'd suggest taking a look at the dedicated Help Center article

I hope this helps! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

There is no feature within Dropbox to disable the icon overlays. There are workarounds, some more succesful than others, if you search the forums, but none of them are supported.

AmettOmega
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
So apparently someone changed the title of my post. The original post title is "How can I disable the Dropbox icon"

I'm not talking about the icon next to files. I'm talking about the quick access icon that shows up on the screen, usually on the right hand side of the screen. You CAN hide it, but it inevitably returns.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @AmettOmega; how are you today?

I'm sorry to ask, but are you perhaps referring to the app's icon within your computer's system tray/menu bar

In that case, you can hide it but not disable it as long as our desktop app is running on your machine. If you quit the app though, it won't show up there as it won't be syncing any changes you make within your Dropbox folder on your computer. 

If you were, by any chance, referring to the Dropbox Badge, I'd suggest taking a look at the dedicated Help Center article

I hope this helps! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

AmettOmega
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Ah, it is the "Dropbox Badge". Weird name for a collaboration tool. Thanks a lot, I went to the help article. Hopefully that will resolve it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AmettOmega Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?