cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove the Dropbox icon from the Windows 10 file explorer?

How do I remove the Dropbox icon from the Windows 10 file explorer?

Jeremy C.3
New member | Level 1

Since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, there is a Dropbox icon in the Windows file explorer navigation pane.  I already have a link to Dropbox and other cloud-storage options in the Quick links section of the file explorer, so I don't need this extra icon!

How do I remove the Dropbox icon from the navigation pane?  And to be clear,  I don't mean the quick-link, I mean the stand-alone 'system-type' icon in the navigation area.

37 Replies 37

Rich
Super User II

There is no option to remove it. Search the forums and you'll find a topic or two that contains some registry edits you can make to get rid of it, but I believe it just reappears on the next update.

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

The icon in question is confuzing because it points to dropbox.exe (not to the dropbox folder).

In other words it is a shortcut that you can just put in the trashcan on win7 - not sure how to do that yet in win10!

A.M.J. L.
New member | Level 1

There is a perfect way of getting rid of this: uninstall dropbox in windows 10 and tell your company and private environment that you don't use dropbox anymore as long as this unacceptable situation is continued.

That is what I did! 

Irene W.
New member | Level 1

I have uninstalled dropbox in windows 10 and there is no option to delete the dropbox icon in the navigation pane in explorer. Anyone has a solution?

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

That "icon" sounds like a token or Most Recently Used (MRU) item.  Only way I have found to clear 'em out is to use good ol' Ccleaner !-)

Irene W.
New member | Level 1

Thanks Rick, but that didn't work either.

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

I do not see the DB icon in Windows 10 (upgraded from win 😎 File Explorer - so I cannot reproduce the issue.  Rich (above) says it can't be removed, yet I don't see it!

What I do see is the Dropbox folder in the navigation pane.

Jeremy C.3
New member | Level 1

In the navigation pane, exactly!  There must be some way to remove it, surely? 

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

Jeremy, I do not understand what you object to: it is a DB icon that replaces the <folder> icon in windows.  Beside "onedrive" you'll see their icon too.

You can always goto Windows "Properties" and change the icon:

"Properties" Customize tab "Change Icon" ...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Andy a.2 New member | Level 2
    Edy G. New member | Level 1
    Joel W.14 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?