cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I turn off the popup asking me to backup an external drive?

How do I turn off the popup asking me to backup an external drive?

Vorpal
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Every time I plug in an external drive, I get a popup from Dropbox asking if I want to back it up to dropbox.

I will never want to do this, since my external drives are themselves backups.

This occurs even if I check the box "do not ask again"

On the last disk I attached there was a file: .dropbox.device that has both hidden and system attributes set.

If I remove this file, will the popups stop happening.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Vorpal wrote:

On the last disk I attached there was a file: .dropbox.device that has both hidden and system attributes set.

The "Do not ask again" box is specific to the device you've plugged in, and Dropbox writes the .dropbox.device file to be able to identify that specific device and never ask you about it again. It does not prevent Dropbox from asking the question for other drives connect. To do that, you need to disable it in Dropbox Preferences on the Backup tab.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Vorpal wrote:

The "Do not ask again" box is specific to the device you've plugged in, and Dropbox writes the .dropbox.device file to be able to identify that specific device and never ask you about it again. It does not prevent Dropbox from asking the question for other drives connect. To do that, you need to disable it in Dropbox Preferences on the Backup tab.

user1969903
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So let me get this straight. You're telling me that a company worth how much? A few billion $, right? Can't program a way to identify drives other than writing some file on it? You do realize USB devices have a unique serial id, right? It's literally the first hit on stack overflow. But no. Instead, you decided to nag me each time I plug in my device. Most USB drives I use are for installing OSes. I flash ISOs on them and use them as installation media. I don't give a fluke about backing that up. 

You should at least reword the dialog box to something like "Don't ask me again for this device (please note that we were lazy and we are writing a file on the device to identify it next time you plug it in and if you delete that file we will continue to nag you about it)." Perhaps even add another checkbox "Permanently disable this useless feature"?

Stevemann
Explorer | Level 4

"Perhaps even add another checkbox "Permanently disable this useless feature"?"

I would very much like this as well. But I would change it to:

"Perhaps even add another checkbox "Permanently disable this **bleep**ing, annoying, useless feature"?"

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Stevemann Explorer | Level 4
    user1969903 Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?