cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to Clear or Remove the Recent file list in mobile apps

How to Clear or Remove the Recent file list in mobile apps

Swe T.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I want to clear all the Recent file list, there has no clear function please advise how to clear the list.
Thanks & regards

Swe Tin

310 Replies 310

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

this forum is a dropbox.com registered domain (see whois) and the only place where customers of dropbox can complain with the idle hope that someone of dropbox reads it.

I never stated that Dropbox does not own the site. It is their site and they maintain these forums. That being said, the majority of the people providing assistance here are other users like yourself. A Dropboxer does reply on occasion (as you've seen), but the only official method of receiving a response from Dropbox is by opening a ticket with Support.

Tickets are never read anyway.

All tickets are answered. It is the forum posts that will not always be seen by a member of Dropbox Support.

So yes this is a good place to request an ETA

As stated... Dropbox does not release information about planned features and their time frames.

It now requires 8 steps to get to a file on dropbox android:

Your list of steps has been (once again) removed from your post. Please refer to my previous response on this matter. Thank you.

William S.14
Not applicable
Go to solution

I find your abuse of privileges to censor bizar considering your silly  claim you are like other users. Who asked you to keep removing inconvenient posts??? Dropbox buddies of you?

Dimitri V.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

William S.

^Makes some valid points Rich R.

You should be supporting us but no....

Michael B.61
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Irrespective of the status of this forum, surely as Dropbox are effectively hosting it, they would take an interest on what is being discussed?

To suggest that forum users should not expect Dropbox to take note of any suggestions, criticisms or other observations is very strange especially as I've just forked out the equivalent of 99 dollars just three weeks ago.

People who take the trouble to read and post here are obviously keenly interested in the subject and wish to share their observations. Hence, surely it is in Dropbox's interest to keep an eye on the forum. In particular my fellow posters are people who have actively supported the company by spending money and have developed a relationship with and dependence on it.

Sadly, it looks like that relationship is in danger of foundering on the rocks when just a short explanation from Dropbox as to why they introduced a 'facility' that many of us find appalling and what they intend to do about the situation we find ourselves in. After all it wasn't us that changed the program but we do seem to be in the 'take it or leave it' situation.

Many other companies have introduced 'improvements' to programs but where they have not suited everyone have given the option to disable it, that's all it needs and then we can get on with using Dropbox as we bought it, not as someone else thinks we must have it.

Now for that cold shower . . . . . . .

Mike C.60
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

After following this forum topic for months and continuously searching online for any updates on this issue, it has become clear that the reason Dropbox devs have yet to address this easily fixable issue (option to clear or disable "Recents" or designate custom landing page in mobile Dropbox app) is because this so-called "feature" must have been the brainchild of some exec whose ego is too big to admit that they made a mistake.

Users are smart enough to organize and access their directories/subdirectories, and there are reasons why we organize our storage in our own ways. While it may seem logical to have recent files easily accessible, most of us would like the option of sorting our files by access/modification time/date RATHER THAN BEING FORCED TO NAVIGATE THROUGH RECENT FILES AS THE DEFAULT (UNMODIFIABLE) LOADING PAGE! The Dropbox browser UI is less offensive as the landing page is still the "Files" tab with our home directory that we have organized FOR OUR OWN REASONS. ("Recents" is shown only when the tab is selected.) However, whether on browser, desktop, or mobile, users would like to be able to clear the "Recents" list for various reason, but most simply BECAUSE WE WANT TO.

Dropbox's lack of acknowledgement of the many user complaints is a sign that they refuse to see that their implementation of the "Recents" feature is TERRIBLE. With the many cloud storage alternatives (eg Google Drive 15G and iCloud 4G free!), why should we continue to support a company that is too busy to monitor and address user comments in their forums? I and seemingly many others have waited months for a fix (which should be simple since the functionalities to load into home directory or last used directory existed before the "Recents" rollout), but it has come time to switch. Dropbox, though you were once a user friendly, customer driven, "indie"-hip company, you are now a sinking ship whose execs are too egotistical to admit their mistakes, and your market share is sure to drop.

Robert H.27
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dropbox has become the most bizarre program I have ever seen. I pay for $99.00 X 5 but certainly would not have if I had known that they were so capable of screwing the pooch on something as simple as making their program totally unusable for a large segment of the users. I have been changing all my dropbox files over to Onedrive to see if that will work better, but have noted in some of the posts that Google has a similar option. I don't know if either Google or Microsoft will be a better program, but at this point they certainly cannot be any worse. I hate to lose the money, and make the people I pay for the extra space, change over to another program, but I am better off losing the money as opposed to having to jump through the hoops dropbox wants me too.

Does anybody know who is responsible for the decisions at dropbox? It appears from the amount of complaints and lack of responses that whoever it  is must be in deep hiding because I have never purchased a program that refuses to at least try to justify the erroneous decisions they made regarding a programming problem. I maybe have not got it changed but at least they had the decency to justify their thinking.

Relative to Rich!! He probably escaped from Mom's basement or the individual responsible for the massive screw-up, because NOBODY can be dumb enough to make excuses and wrong headed statements such as HE?? has.

Robert H.27
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Per Wendy's suggestion, " Open the plist file in the editor of your choice" I searched for but do not find anything like that in my Windows 10 machine. Any suggestions as to where it might be found? I don't know if that will help the problem with dropbox but am willing to at least find out.

Robert H.27
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I meant to ask what is the equivalent in Windows 10 as googling it is inconclusive 

Mike C.60
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Robert H., As you've probably gathered from your own searches:

• The plist file is specific to Mac iOS/OSX. (Seems that plists are also used with Apple software on Windows PC eg. iTunes).

• To edit the plist file (which should be text) use a text editor of your choice.

• Wendy's instructions are likely specific to Dropbox for Mac.

Poking around on Dropbox on Windows 7, I see that every time I open Dropbox, the following folders update:

• %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\instance_db\

• %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\instance1\

The files within these directories seem to be .DB and .DBX which may be readable with SQLite (I have not tested). I suspect the "recently changed" file list that may be equivalent to the plist that Wendy suggested to edit is stored in:

• %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\instance1\UPDATED_XXXX ##where XXXX is some letters that changes each time it syncs

Again I have not managed to open any of the files. Deleting the filecache.dbx  forces a "hash check"-like behavior (resyncs your entire Dropbox). Deleting UPDATED_XXXX seems to delay the "recently changed" file list from displaying (both on my Desktop and Android phone). But both of these files are recreated and the Recents eventually pop back up. These are likely downloaded from Dropbox server. If anyone pokes around and has more info or paths specific to Windows 10, please share with Robert H.

Now although this thread has "Apple mobile apps" in the title, it seems that forum moderators are redirecting everyone here for concerns about the "Recents" default loading page for Andriod as well. If you are on Android or have a mobile device that supports widgets, this solution from Dropbox support (Ralph) posted recently by Corey A. may work to load directly into a folder of your choice:

Here is his pasted post:

Hi all,

I get this response from DropBox support. I have actually tried this and it works. I have DB in a folder on my Android so I had to create the shortcut on a page first then move it. Hopefully they listen and remove the Recents.

Ralph, Feb 23, 8:32 AM:

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in. I understand that you would like to change the default tab/folder when the app opens. When tapping the Dropbox icon, Dropbox will open up to the Recents page first. This is working as intended and cannot be modified by the user.

We are always looking for user input when creating the next version of the Dropbox app and I will make sure your comments are passed along to our development team.

As a workaround, the Dropbox app offers the ability to create a home screen widget to any folder in your account, including the top-level Dropbox folder.

To create this shortcut:
- Tap and hold an empty spot on the home screen (phones) or tap the All Apps icon on the home screen (tablets)
- Tap “Widgets”
- Tap and hold the “Dropbox Folder” widget, drag it to the desired location on your home screen, and release.
- Upon releasing, you’ll be prompted to “Create shortcut to” the currently selected folder. If you wish to open a different folder, navigate to the preferred folder.
- Tap the “Create Shortcut” button.

You can now use this new Dropbox folder icon on your home screen to bypass the Recents view upon opening the Dropbox app.

If there is anything else I can do to be of service, please reach back out to me and I will be more than happy to assist.

Regards,
Ralph

Michael B.61
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Mike C et al,

Thanks for posting that. Whilst it doesn't get rid of recents it provides a good way to avoid its inherent problems.

One word, don't use a well stocked folder for Dropbox to land on 'cos it will take forever to download each time you open it up. I've made an empty folder called 'launch', being somewhat old fashioned.

Need more support?