cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to clear the Dropbox mobile app cache on iPhone/iPad?

How to clear the Dropbox mobile app cache on iPhone/iPad?

Marcus D.9
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Using an iPhone 5C running iOS 9.1 and Dropbox 4.0.4. The iOS Dropbox app itself is only 55.8 MB in size, however my iPhone is reporting that Dropbox is using a total of 300+ MB in Documents and Data. I have zero files marked as "Offline" within the Dropbox app, so the app should not be storing any Documents or Data locally on my iPhone.

I realize the Documents and Data referenced are most likely the result of recent files being cached by the app, but if this is the case, is there any way to manually clear that cache? Or set a limit of cache size? Currently, uninstalling and reinstalling the app is the only solution I've found, which is far from what I'd consider a "solution". I have to uninstall the app, reinstall it, sign in, wait for 2-factor auth code to enter, set up my Passcode again, set up the Camera Upload again...just a horrible overall process just to clear out the cache.

There are other apps which allow you to either set a cache size, or some that include an option to manually clear the cache. Either one of these options would be better than nothing at all.

107 Replies 107

Marcus D.9
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I actually have a number of apps installed with manual control over clearing the cache. One of them is just a simple wallpaper-downloading app, which has complete control on the cache, including the ability to set a max cache size or clear it altogether. Can't be too terribly difficult for Dropbox to figure out if these other apps have.

Tomáš P.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My Dropbox app on iOS is taking up over 15 GB of storage while I have no offline files there. And Dropbox still has the nerve to tell me "To continue using Dropbox, delete some files, photos, or apps from your device." while it's Dropbox itself that is causing the problem. AFAIK there's no way to clear the cached data except for reinstalling the whole app. Please fix this issue.

Kenneth M.24
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm seeing the same problem, it just keeps growing and now I have to uninstall just to get the room back... Tumblr had a similar problem but they added a manual way to remove the cache. This need to be addressed, Dropbox.

Utzu L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Having the same issue... Signing out and back in seems  to deflate the size... It starts growing again once I start browsing but it's less of a pain than uninstalling and reinstalling the app. A Clear Cache button would be great, just like there is one for Clear Recent Searches.

Stefano F.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

... So..? Just nothing?

Nick B.43
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

+1 for this please, Dropbox is using a huge amount of my iPhone's storage needlessly and I've had to remove the app and go through the whole setup process again.

Tempted to dump the iPhone anyway and get an S7 as I'll be due for upgrade soon, I'm sure it's easier to clear the cache on Android?

Sherwino
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

So...signing off will do the trick. 

I guess that is good enough solution for now, my co-worker keeps deleting files from shared folders, all in attempt to free up space in his phone.

In the meanwhile I will be recovering all of the deleted images. 

james c.62
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

><br>Oh my...goodness there must be a fix for this. I am tired of freezing my phone and having to delete and reinstall the app. Every time I look down my Dropbox app is over 4GB!</p>
<p>i have been a true supporter of Dropbox but please help us with this!</p>

Marton A.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Signing out and in again cleared my 1gb cache. It's quite fast so it can be done regularly.

Caveats: your offline files will be lost and you'll get an annoying "a new phone has been connected" email.

Chris_S
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Signing out & signing back in did not clear my cache, I had to uninstall & reinstall.  Please respond to this thread, Dropbox, you are a great service in so many ways but this is really poor & quite crippling to those of us saddled with 16gb phones.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    RamS57 New member | Level 2
    Herma Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?