cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to migrate a Dropbox folder from one PC to another?

How to migrate a Dropbox folder from one PC to another?

ostbeyer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dear all,

I have a shared physical Dropbox folder on my old PC with all the "original" data in it, which is synchronized with the Dropbox cloud storage.

Now this PC is broken and I want to physically migrate this shared Dropbox folder to my new PC.

How can I do that?

When I log into Dropbox on  my new PC I can only access the Dropbox cloud storage but the data is not physically on my hard drive (which is what I want).

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,

ostbeyer

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@ostbeyer wrote:

But in order to download the files automatically, I first need to designate a location on the hard disk, don't I?

But where do I do that?

When you install the Dropbox application it will create a Dropbox folder in your user profile, though you have the option to select a different location during the install process.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@ostbeyer wrote:

... I want to physically migrate this shared Dropbox folder to my new PC. How can I do that?

The easy method is to just install the Dropbox application on the PC and sign in to your account. All of your files will sync to your computer automatically.

If you're looking to actually move an existing Dropbox folder from one computer to another it can be done, though it's more technical. If that's what you want to do, let me know, though I suggest you just install the application and let it download your files automatically.

ostbeyer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

But in order to download the files automatically, I first need to designate a location on the hard disk, don't I?

But where do I do that?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@ostbeyer wrote:

But where do I do that?

When you install the Dropbox application it will create a Dropbox folder in your user profile, though you have the option to select a different location during the install process.

ostbeyer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Exactly what I wanted, thanks a lot!! That worked!!

catstepmum
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I've got a new MacBookPro, and the migration of everything - even my screen saver - from my old one was surprisingly easy. Except for Dropbox. My Dropbox on the new computer was empty. So I had to save an important folder I'm currently working on onto a hard drive, rename it and transfer into the new Dropbox I was forced to create on the new computer, and ask the co-editors I'd shared it with to share the new folder instead. Now I've been told by Dropbox that it will disappear tomorrow unless I start paying them. I am retired and do this journal editing on a voluntary basis. I'm not keen to have to pay. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @catstepmum, let's jump right into this! 

Is it possible that you're using two different Dropbox accounts: your old one, on the old device and a newly-created one, on the new device? 

What is the app's syncing status right now? You also mentioned something about a message that Dropbox would "disappear" tomorrow, can you let me know more about this message, or notification and even send a screenshot too?

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

catstepmum
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dear Megan,

Thanks for responding.

I clearly am using two Dropbox accounts, but I don't know why - why was the Dropbox empty when everything else migrated to my new Mac? I don't know what is meant by syncing status or how I'd find out. I've taken a screenshot of the message about expiration. 

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 15.22.05.png

Yours,

Ann

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @catstepmum, if you created a new account, and linked it to the new device, then that would explain why it's empty. 

Have you clicked on the above link I provided about the syncing status? Also, this email refers to Dropbox Transfer, not your Dropbox account.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

catstepmum
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I didn't mean to create a new account. When I clicked on the Dropbox icon on my new computer it was empty. I've clicked on the syncing status link that you sent but as the folder is empty (apart from the one folder I've laboriously transferred by going back to my old computer, copying it onto an external hard drive and then moving it into the empty Dropbox) I don't see how this helps. And I don't understand why my 'new' Dropbox account is telling me I'll lose the transferred folder today unless I upgrade. It's no big deal in the sense that i've got a copy of it, but it does mean that I now have to stop using Dropbox with my co-editors and find some other way of sharing files. To be fair, I've never really understood why Dropbox did all this for free, and I'm not all that surprised to be asked to pay. But I already do the editing for nothing, as, I guess, a service to my section of the academic community. I realise that sounds pompous.

Yours,

Ann

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    catstepmum Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?