cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I want to stop backing up my desktop on Dropbox.

I want to stop backing up my desktop on Dropbox.

rhaines765
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am using a different app to backup my desktop computer and its files.  I want to continue to use Dropbox, but I don't need it to do the backups.  How can I stop this feature?

36 Replies 36

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @RIC4life, just for clarification, have you disabled the computer backup from the Dropbox desktop application?

Which folders in particular are syncing to the site? Regarding the business files that aren't syncing, are those visible on the Dropbox site?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RIC4life
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

At the moment I am just trying to do one thing and that is trying to get back as many documents as possible. Complete folders are empty, documents nowhere to be found. And to top it all off I have a back up from when this was all going on, so the folders are empty there to. Files that are on my hard drive all have that **bleep**ty DB sign. 

I deleted the DB app, because I could make nothing work. I couldn't stop the stupid back up function. Instructions that were referred to didn't work. Total nightmare and a days work lost too.

RIC4life
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

RIC4life_0-1656696170288.png

Nowhere to be found!!!!! That made me delete the whole app. And the **bleep** just got bigger.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

What option did you see when you viewed the desktop app preferences? 

Are you able to locate the missing files on the Dropbox site directly on the Backups page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

RIC4life
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

RIC4life_0-1656698728756.png

No nothing there. And they are also not under the deleted files. Well, the empty folders are there too 😞

RIC4life
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

And I don't know exactly what I saw, just not what I was supposed to. Like I said it's been hours ago. 

RIC4life
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Each time I reinstall the app, after deleting all  Dropbox folders completely of my laptop, it start the back up. I am unable to choose not now. I took the arrow out of all options, but still it keeps doing it. It drives me completely nuts. I don't want Dropbox to back up my private folders!

tess e
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

SAME EXACT ISSUE I HAVE BEEN COMPLAINING ABOUT SINCE MAY 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If the missing files weren’t syncing to your account, then it wouldn’t be possible to recover them from the site. 

However, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party app or service to do so.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

tess e
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Checked there day 1. not in recycle bin 

Need more support?