cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Reading complete file names on ipad

Ipad and Iphone viewing of long file names

Shawn V.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Our company is having the issue that on the mobile app (using the ipad or iphone) often times the file name is too long to properly view what we are opening. I want to be able to read the entire file name so I know what i am opening since many of the beginning and last parts of the file are exactly the same for filing purposes so I want to be able to view the file name without having to open each one in order to find out. I'm hoping I make sense. Is there something I'm missing where I'm able to do this? I can't "right click" on the file name cause I'm mobile otherwise I would try that 🙂

114 Replies 114

heikkipekka
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
WOW!!! Can't believe you have to do this kind of things, just to be able to see file names.

But I can confirm, this works. Thanks!

Steven B.31
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

thanks...that sure is a weird one!  With the recent integration of Dropbox into the iOS 11 Files app, things are groovy.

mindat
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dropbox is going to lose market share if they invest their efforts in just one os. The rest feel ignored.

Ian_A6
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I'd say they were MORE groovy, but not completely so! Using Files definitely exposes more of the filenames but it still not the total width and so some filenames are still an issue.

I just can't understand why no one from Dropbox will explain WHY they won't allow us to choose between having the left-hand sidebar or not. How hard can this be?

baronmh
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Why is this marked as a solution? This is still an outstanding and annoying issue.

baronmh
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Not really a fix when one needs to see files and names in their directory context. Naming nomenclature for companies and teams are designed around grouping files by projects or types. Amazing that I can do this on the iPhone by changing the orientation, but on the larger screened iPad one is constrained to a small column.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@baronmh wrote:
Why is this marked as a solution? This is still an outstanding and annoying issue.

Because Mark's response is the correct one. It doesn't mean their is a solution to the question asked. It means the question asked was answered appropriately.

In this particular case, Dropbox is working as intended. There is currently no way to view a long file name on a mobile device.

baronmh
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Actually, you can see long file names on the iPhone by rotating to landscape. They have just not offered this on the iPad. Also an answer is not a solution.

Johndavegrave
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Look forward to seeing this implemented late 2056.

VisionaryPilot
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This limitation is killing me. Not only because it stunts functionality, but because of what the lack of a fix (or viable response) means about Dropbox and its relationship with its Customers. I can't believe it's been over 2 years since this feedback was posted and Dropbox has been unable to correct it. It is one of the reasons companies lose Customers so quickly when a comparable alternative becomes available. I rather enjoy Dropbox, today, but petty issues like these that are simple to fix drive me to conclude that the company either doesn't care or can't prioritize fixes appropriately. Dropbox better hope that a comparable alternative doesn't become available soon because if this becomes the case, I will drop the multiple accounts my colleauges and I have with them for the alternative. Fix this issue Dropbox. You're embarrassing yourselves.

Need more support?