cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating my sync folder to a new Windows computer

Migrating my sync folder to a new Windows computer

Todd7
New member | Level 2

I purchased a new computer and my dropbox sync folder is maintained on an external hard drive that simply plugs in via a USB port on my old computer.  Is it as simple as just plugging in the external hard drive to my new computer?  How do I tell dropbox my sync folder has moved, and how do I tell dropbox to stop looking for the sync folder on my old computer?  Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Todd7, thanks for posting this on our forum!

Since you’re now using a new device, you’ll need to install the Dropbox desktop app on it again and try to link it to your existing Dropbox folder on your external hard drive.

More specifically, after you’ve installed the Dropbox app on your device, you’ll be asked to sign in to it. Upon signing in and before you’re asked to create a new Dropbox folder, you should see an "Advanced Settings" link. 

When you click on this link, you can choose the parent folder of the already established Dropbox folder. For example, if you have your Dropbox folder in the path "D:\OtherDrive\Folder\Dropbox" you'll want to select the folder "D:\OtherDrive\Folder".

Let me know though if you have any further questions.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?