cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New stable Build 186.4.6207 crashed 4-5 times.

New stable Build 186.4.6207 crashed 4-5 times.

DarthEd
Helpful | Level 6

I just upgraded to this new "stable build", and it has crashed on me 4 or 5 times in 10 minutes. Not cool.

Mac Intel. I'm on Mac OS X 10.13.6. No problems with the previous build.

The "Preferences" menu option doesn't seem to work. Selecting "Hardware Acceleration (GPU)" from the menu doesn't unselect it. It's just always selected.

Nov 5 23:08:26 Computer com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000033.Dropbox[71503]): Service exited due to signal: Segmentation fault: 11 sent by exc handler[0]

9 Replies 9

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @DarthEd, let's jump right into this! 

Just a small clarification: does the app crash after a few moments of using it, or the moment you try to open, and access it? 

Do you still face the same issue? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DarthEd
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, Megan. Thanks for the reply.

Accessing the Dropbox menu in the top-right of my menubar would often seem to trigger the crash. If I didn't do anything, I don't think it would crash, but I'm not sure. I tried going back to previous stable versions to see when this regression started. I tried a bunch (185, 184, 183, etc.) and kept having the same problem. I got as far as 175 before I gave up and restored my old Dropbox client (which is like version 149 or something like that) from my semi-daily backups. It still works flawlessly, but Dropbox says I need to upgrade in the next 6 days or else that version will stop working.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DarthEd, even if you install a previous version of the Dropbox app, it's an app that auto-updates, and since the version you went back to is pretty obsolete, it's normal that it will stop working at some point.

Have you tried deleting the app, restarting the device and then reinstalling it, to see if that helps with the crashing issue?

Also, are you getting any errors when the crash happens?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

vrachal
Explorer | Level 4

I had the same problem. It has cost me three days of time. I even had to go back and completely wipe my drives and reload OS.  I've tried everything and now I'm having to just download my files off the web because it is too much trouble continuing in this way.  The problem seems to be from fileprovider...

DarthEd
Helpful | Level 6

Hey @DarthEd, even if you install a previous version of the Dropbox app, it's an app that auto-updates, and since the version you went back to is pretty obsolete, it's normal that it will stop working at some point.

I'm well aware of that.

> Have you tried deleting the app, restarting the device and then reinstalling it, to see if that helps with the crashing issue?

No. Rebooting after re-installing requires too much downtime. I also really doubt that would have affected anything.

Also, are you getting any errors when the crash happens?

Please go back to my original post. I included the error message from system.log. That's the only error message I could find.

vrachal
Explorer | Level 4

I did try the suggestion of deleting the app rebooting and reinstalling. No improvement, I decided I would completely reload my Mac by wiping the drive, Installing the new MacOS (Sonoma), and then loading the app; that didn't work either due to fileprovider challenges. I decided to go back to Ventura and wiped the drive again and loaded Ventura and then the "stable build". Still did not work, and crashed multiple times however this time with my full set up with both monitors (however overloaded the systems). So went through starting over again with only my Mac....  This is not a stable build!  I am now downloading all my files from Dropbox. I still believe in the solution as I have been using DB for over a decade but this is unacceptable. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DarthEd & @vrachal - sorry to jump in, but could you  clarify where your Dropbox folder is located on the affected machine per the app's preferences under the sync tab?

Also, are you getting any Dropbox errors when the app crashes or is it silently crashing? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

vrachal
Explorer | Level 4

In the past, I believe my folder was in documents. I did not adjust where the standard install placed the folder. The computer freezes and no error message comes up.  In Activity Monitor it would show Dropbox at between 140 - 210% and Dropbox fileprovider at 60 - 75%.  After being down basically for four days trying to fix it, I no longer have Dropbox loaded. I will wait until I either learn the issues have been resolved or find another solution.  I can't afford the time to crash again...

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I understand where you're coming from, @vrachal.

If you'd like to continue looking into this with us, please check the sync tab in your Dropbox preferences and let us know the location of your Dropbox folder.

We'd be happy to continue working towards a solution with you.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    vrachal Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    DarthEd Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?