cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open .eml through iPhone Dropbox app

Open .eml through iPhone Dropbox app

Krisias
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I have been doing some research on this and have not been able to find a solution from a comment over 7 years ago with requests to be able to open Apple email files stored on the Dropbox app for iPhones. Please please please does anyone have a suggestion or workaround to open .eml on your iPhone through Dropbox app? We have Dropbox for business and I would have thought the app would be sophisticated enough to give you an option on which app to use to open the file?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Krisias, while we can't provide any specific recommendations, you can try searching on the app store for 'eml viewer' to see if any apps appear which might be able to help you with your query.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Krisias wrote:
... have not been able to find a solution ... to open Apple email files stored on the Dropbox app for iPhones.

Typically you just need to have an app installed on the device that is capable of opening the files, as Dropox uses the apps that you have installed. Do you have an app on the phone that is capable of opening .eml mail files? if so, have you tried opening such a file separately from Dropbox? Are you able to?

The first step is to make sure you can open .eml files outside of Dropbox. If you can't, then you'll never be able to open them from within Dropbox.

Krisias
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thanks rich, yes I can confirm I have both Apple mail and outlook installed but neither assist in opening the files. I can open .eml files via the apples “files” but not within Dropbox. I can also open them via Dropbox on my MacBook but not via my iPhone..

Krisias
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi, can you please suggest a 3rd party app I can use to read .eml in Dropbox please? I read somewhere klammer but can’t find it available anymore. Hoping for some suggestions, thank you

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Krisias, while we can't provide any specific recommendations, you can try searching on the app store for 'eml viewer' to see if any apps appear which might be able to help you with your query.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Krisias
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thank you. I found one after I sent last message and it’s working, albeit “share/export to”

Krisias
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks @Rich for your reply.

Yes I have both Outlook and Apple Mail installed on my phone but neither open the files. I tried them independently of each other to no avail. They show as unidentified objects.

I spoke to Dropbox support and they stated that they do not support the opening of .eml files, but suggested trying 3rd party apps. I then downloaded eml viewer, and that works fine in opening .eml files. Why it cant connect to Apple Mail or Outlook is beyond me.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Krisias Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?