cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opted out of Dropbox Beta, but still have nagging bits lurking

Opted out of Dropbox Beta, but still have nagging bits lurking

TypeNerd
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Did some research on how to opt out of the Dropbox Beta, since I hate the new system hierarchy. Went to settings, turned "early Releases" off, signed out Dropbox, uninstalled the application, reinstalled Dropbox, signed in. Trouble is, there are still nagging bits of the beta version lurking. Trash can now deletes immediately and permanently (instead of staying there until I decide to empty it). And I can not get directly to my folders from my dock shortcuts. I am running an iMac on OS 12.5.1. Is there a more complete way to step backwards from the beta version? Help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TypeNerd
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Just FYI, I told Dropbox to stop backing up my computer, and that fixed both my problem with the trash, and the problem with the documents folder. So I am limping away from my beta test disaster. And will find another entity to handle my computer backups.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @TypeNerd, welcome to our Community! 

Keep in mind that your bin and how content is handled there, is related to your Mac, and the OS directly. It's not affected by the Dropbox app. 

As for your dock, do you get any errors? What is the behavior there like? 

Also, other than that, is the app syncing content properly? 

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TypeNerd
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My OS preferences for the trash to empty is "never," and this activigy is new since I briefly tried the beta version of DropBox.

I might not have enough knowledge to describe the problems exactly. In addition to the new problem with the trash, there is some kind of rearrangement that did not return to "before beta" try.

I am using DropBox for my backup, and it appears that the only way I can access things that I believe/hope are still on my mac, when inside another program (in this case InDesign) is to go through the DropBox "archive" folder (where my backup lives), now under locations. Pain in the a** since it is 4 clicks in for every item.

Is there a more complete way to revert to "before beta" ? Boy, am I sorry I ever tried that. Thanks for your help, anyone!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @TypeNerd, you should be able to click on your Dropbox icon, which would then open your Dropbox folder (with all of its content) on your Mac.

Isn't that the case on your end? Have you tried that? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

TypeNerd
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I do not want my stuff only stored on the cloud, I want it to stay on my harddrive. But now, since the try beta fiasco

(From inside another program, in this case, InDesign) and I try to "place"

from DB icon from the sidebar, all I get is what is stored in my DB online.

To get to my documents folder (for instance) I have to go HARDDRIVE: USERS: (ME): DOCUMENTS. Every single time. Disturbingly, my Documents folder icon shows with a little arrow, indicating that it is a shortcut? Maybe?

Still having trouble with my trash can deleting instantly also. All this is since the beta try of DropBox.

Is there a more complete way to undo the beta "improvements?"

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @TypeNerd, your feedback regarding our Dropbox desktop application has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

Keep in mind that it sounds as if you're enabled our Backup feature too. Hence the confusion with your Documents folder. 

You can always disable it, using these steps. If you have any other questions, let me know! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

TypeNerd
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I would be willing to disable the dropbox backup temporarily, but would want to begin a backup somewhere asap ... would this change the document folder and trash behavior?

Do I need to find another method to backup my files now that the beta test has interfered with my system?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @TypeNerd,  when you say you'd want to begin a backup, what exactly do you mean? 

The Trash behavior isn't related to us, I'm afraid. As for the Documents folder, it would revert it back to its original path. 

Lastly, for your files, Dropbox should work seamlessly on the device, and we want to ensure this is the case. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

TypeNerd
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Am I to understand that the documents folder foul-up is because I am also using DropBox for my computer backup?

And your fix is to stop backing up to Dropbox?

But then I need a different Backup program, I guess.

TypeNerd
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Just FYI, I told Dropbox to stop backing up my computer, and that fixed both my problem with the trash, and the problem with the documents folder. So I am limping away from my beta test disaster. And will find another entity to handle my computer backups.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TypeNerd Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?