cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DropBox freezing windows 10

Possible conflict with Dropbox and Trend Micro (Dropbox freezing)

koltipelto
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have dropbox business, I will not say every computer, but half of the company's computers are crashing.

At first I thought it could be a driver, a virus, or even a windows 10 error. I got to format 2 of them, and still they keep crashing, they get frozen screen, I can not do anything, I have to force the physical button.

When I disable the dropbox, the computers work perfectly. All of them are running with the latest version 30.4.22.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

dflord
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jane, thanks for your reply. I've simply turned off the selective sync feature and that has resolved the issue. If I have time, I'll turn it back on and see if the problem returns. 

Thanks. 

View solution in original post

binary
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I would like to update that the problem resolved on our side now and here is the steps taken.

- Clean up the registry

- Uninstall and Install back Dropbox

- Uninstall and Install back Worry Free Business Security

------- Added Dropbox program files path in Approved List (just in case)

Also device speed improved quite a bit. We did not reinstall the windows.

Environment

- Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

- Worry Free Business Security Services (Trend Micro)

I hope it helps to someone.

Lucio
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The issue has been resolved by Trend Micro and we have confirmed that the Trend Micro fix worked and no longer have a freeze on start when Dropbox is set to run at startup as well. For reference, the Virus Pattern that contains the fix is 14.287.00.

Thanks to all of the users that reported this!

Positive vibe!

46 Replies 46

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Welcome to the Dropbox Community, I'd be glad to look into that with you! 

Just to make sure that I have understood correctly, is Dropbox causing your devices to crash or is the Dropbox desktop application silently crashing on your computers? 

You mention that this is a team-wide behavior. Are you experiencing this only on your Windows 10 machines? 

As per your description below: 

I got to format 2 of them, and still they keep crashing, they get frozen screen, I can not do anything, I have to force the physical button.

the issue persists outside Dropbox, meaning when the application is completely closed, which suggests that the cause is related to something on your Operating System that could be causing this. In case the above assumption is wrong, please let me know. 

Will be awaiting your reply, so that we analyze the case together!

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

koltipelto
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@JaneA Thanks for you reaply! 

And sorry abou my englis. 

Dropbox don't stop, the computer stopped, it's like freezing, i can't do nafen. What I did to be sure that was dropbox, I reboot the computer on safety mode, disable the Dropbox, OneDrive and fences program... And work for one day, no freezes, so I started to enable the others programs one each day... and yesterday enable the Dropbox than the computer freeze after like 4 minutes or less. Today the same computer is running perfect, but if out dropbox enable.

This issue is occurs if Windows 10-64 bits fully update and another one in Windows 7 (but the windows 7, now is on Windows 10, I had to format and update too).

What was strange, the windows 7 was if that problem, but when update to 10, the problem stop’s.

The other two on Windows 10 still if problem, one of than keeps using Dropbox but sometimes, just sometimes freezes, on other hand the desktop freezes every time when dropbox is on.

Just for record, I already tried to reinstall..

WD
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, we're having the same problem with our computers running Windows 7 for most.

Half of them freeze when they start and it's impossible to open the Dropbox application. The only thing we can do is shut them down physically.

It's only happening since version 30.4.22 has been out about 2 weeks ago.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @koltipelto & @WD

Please accept my apologies for getting back to you in delay, let's look into the matter more! 

• @koltipelto: I have to admit the behavior is quite unexpected, since it appears that the application is causing your device to crash. Off the top of my head, seems like your computer can’t cope with the overall size of the client. As a first step, I’d suggest applying Selective Sync to the folders that you don't need to have see locally on your computer. If this persists I’d advise you to ask your admin to call in or chat in to our team through the admin console during our Business hours and provide us more details regarding the case. From this point on, my colleagues will take care care of your request. If there is a ticket I could reference, please include it in your reply and I’d more than glad to follow-up! 
  • @WD: The issue you have experienced seems different than the one previously described, so I'll follow different steps with you. Please try rebooting your pc once and disable your antivirus or any other security program that may be preventing Dropbox from running as expected in the background. 
If the issue persists, please let me know in your reply! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

dflord
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have been having the same issue. Problem began when I applied selective sync. I did a full laptop reset, reinstalled everything and the issue returned. Since then, I have turned off selective sync and so far so good. 

Running Windows 10 64bit (fully updated) on an HP Elitebook, Trend Micro for Antivirus, OneDrive for business, OneDrive personal, GoogleDrive, MS Office 2016, Quickbooks Desktop, Chrome. 

JasonWolfgang
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am also having this exact issue. It only seems to happen when first logging in to the machine. This started when we enabled smart sync for our business dropbox account. We are 100% windows 10 and it seems random when a machine is affected. Quickly force quitting Dropbox and disabling the auto start feature fixes the issue. My laptop is one of the machines affected and I setup a delayed start task to start dropbox 5 min after login. For the most part that fixed the issue but still on occasion my system would hang.

I noticed you use Trend Micro which is also the AV we use so perhaps the issue is with how smart sync and Trend interact. I will have to do some testing to see if removing Trend and leaving Dropbox also fixes the issue.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey dflord & JasonWolfgang, I'd just like to follow-up on the matter, has this been resolved for you? 

In case you need further assistance, I’d recommend logging a ticket with our team, so as to have a closer look at your account details & send over the most appropriate next steps.

Once you do, please let me know a ticket ID in your reply, so that I search up your request internally on our system and make sure a team members works with you as closely as possible. 

Thanks in advance & I'll be awaiting your next message, so that we work on that together! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

dflord
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jane, thanks for your reply. I've simply turned off the selective sync feature and that has resolved the issue. If I have time, I'll turn it back on and see if the problem returns. 

Thanks. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I appreciate your update here with the fix that worked for you dflord, I’ve made sure to accept your last reply as a Solution, so that other users experiencing the same behavior check it in the future! 

Glad to hear that you got this sorted, though I’ll also be here in case you need further assistance, so please don’t hesitate to reach back out to me at any time. Happy Friday! :slight_smile:

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?