cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Drop Box freezing windows 10

Possible conflict with Dropbox and Trend Micro (Dropbox freezing)

koltipelto
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have dropbox business, I will not say every computer, but half of the company's computers are crashing.

At first I thought it could be a driver, a virus, or even a windows 10 error. I got to format 2 of them, and still they keep crashing, they get frozen screen, I can not do anything, I have to force the physical button.

When I disable the dropbox, the computers work perfectly. All of them are running with the latest version 30.4.22.

46 Replies 46

Umaster
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
This is not solved! as of 6/13/18 I have virus pattern 14.309

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all,

Thank's for flagging that this isn't fixed for all, we'll loop back to Trend Micro and discuss it further with them.

Can those still hitting the issue confirm that they are running Trend Micro Worry Free Business - and have our Smart Sync?

I'll update here again once we have more to share.

Many thanks.

iml
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Ross,

We have also logged a ticket with Trend in Australia as we had same issue in our company which started approx . June 15th -  Look forward to any updates.

binary
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I would like to update that problem came back again few days back and eventually we just replace the Trend with another AV. As it was the only device with Trend, so easy to replace, as can not afford to spend time again and again. Client getting bit frustrated.

iml
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

We tested a fix for the last two weeks over 30 PCs that has worked for us.  It was advised by Trend.  The core of the problem to me seems to be that because the Dropbox client is so file system and CPU intensive (across all cores) it is constantly causing red flags with the behaviour monitoring components of Trend and creating a vicious circle.

The below only exempts the specific executables, so you're Dropbox folders are still bein protected.

Add the following in the exclusion lists: 

C:\Windows\System32\DbxS​vc.exe 
C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Update\Dro​pboxUpdate.exe 
C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dro​pbox.exe

*Antivirus/Antispyware 
1) Go to your WFBS Services console 
2) Under the Devices tab, click the group of the endpoint where you want to apply the exclusion 
3) Click Configure Policy 
4) Under Antivirus/Anti-spyware, click exclusions 
5) Enable exclusions and include the path or file that you want to exclude 
6) Click Save and wait for the agents to be notified 
7) Verify that the file is excluded from being scanned 

*Behavior Monitoring 
1) Go to your WFBS Services console 
2) Under the Devices tab, click the group of the endpoint where you want to apply the exclusion 
3) Click Configure Policy 
4) Under Behavior Monitoring, enable behavior monitoring 
5) Add the full program path of the program/file that you want to exclude from scanning to the approved list 
6) Click Save and wait for the agents to be notified 
7) Verify that the file is excluded from being scanned 

After adding the files indicated above on the Antivirus/Antispyware and Behavior Monitoring exclusion list, then please restart the machine and continue monitoring. 

Socalvidz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I am on iMac running El Capitan , and I still have the problem .My app freezes but it freezes more on my iPhone 6S Plus.

Umaster
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This was eventually fixed for me.  Trend had to gather a bunch of massive log files.  Unfortunately this all came after I sent one brand new PC back as the manufacter assumed it was a bad motherboard.  It wasn't until we got the 3rd PC that I dug deep and discovered Trend and Dropbox were causing the crash.

The difficult part of diagnosing this was that even after we unintalled Dropbox, the freezes continued.

Ever since July 2018 this appears to be resolved.

Need more support?