cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Problem moving Dropbox folder from linux to NTFS partition

Problem moving Dropbox folder from linux to NTFS partition

allanmariano
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I have a dual boot system with 3 partitions, Windows 10, Debian 9 and a NTFS partition, that I use for shared files. I used to install Dropbox on both system using the same folder in the shared partition. Now I recieve the error message "To sync your Dropbox, Move your Dropbox folder to a partition with a compatible File System. Dropbox is compatible with Ext4.". This is, probably, due to the File System support changes.

Can I still make Dropbox sync with this folder in the NTFS partition from Debian Ext4 partition?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Allan, if you’re using Windows the Dropbox folder is in the NTFS drive, then there’s no issues.

However from Debian, you won’t be able to sync your files since the Dropbox folder isn’t located in an EXT4 drive. You’ll need to have a separate Dropbox folder stored in the EXT4 drive specifically for the Debian install.

Hope this clarifies matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Allan, if you’re using Windows the Dropbox folder is in the NTFS drive, then there’s no issues.

However from Debian, you won’t be able to sync your files since the Dropbox folder isn’t located in an EXT4 drive. You’ll need to have a separate Dropbox folder stored in the EXT4 drive specifically for the Debian install.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

allanmariano
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Jay  escreveu:

Thank you, Jay, for the fast response.

I was wondering about that. I don't want to duplicate files, that's why I cretated the shared drive. Dropbox team must have good reasons to change File System support like that.

I hope there will exist a work around.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@allanmariano wrote:

I hope there will exist a work around.

Hi @allanmariano,

About the workaround You ask for... You, better, don't rely on! Did You see the thread?

Andres_Hernande
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

Why dropbox did this change?, it complicates the use for users with double boot.

Andres

allanmariano
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, Andres

Yes, I'm wondering that, as well. As I said, I used to have just one copy of the folder in a shared NTFS drive which I could access from Linux and Windows drives. They must have done that for security reasons, or something like that. As we might be a small percentage of users doing so, this will propably not be solved.

There is an explanation that you can read in this thread.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Andres_Hernande and @allanmariano,

It seems that I haven't explain (in my previous post) very well what I mean. And it is that, You shouldn't rely on workaround, coming from Dropbox. But, this doesn't mean that working workaround couldn't be found! Read carefully the refereed thread.. :wink: There are tips which can lead You to solution. Of course every such solutions could be temporary - It seems, We (I mean affected users) and Dropbox are playing game for mices and cat... :grin:

There are not any security reasons for such decisions! Security reasons pointing is bad excuse try for their marketing strategy.

Wish You a good luck.

allanmariano
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello, man

Sorry about the misunderstanding. actually, I've just decided to use the website while I'm on Linux.

Thank you very much for the help!

Need more support?