cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Reinstalling Dropbox App and Retaining D drive location for Dropbox folder

Reinstalling Dropbox App and Retaining D drive location for Dropbox folder

MWilcox
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 on a desktop. I had the Dropbox folder installed on my D drive, which is a separate physical drive (not a partition) from my C drive. The Dropbox app was installed on C, which was reformatted as part of the reinstallation, so I lost the Dropbox app. Since the W10 reinstallation did not affect my D drive (which contains only data files), the Dropbox folder is still there and is intact. When I reinstalled the Dropbox app, it created a new Dropbox folder on C and synced my files to it. I went to sync preferences and tried to move my Dropbox folder to D, but it (correctly) tells me I already have a Dropbox folder there. I thought maybe something as simple as renaming the Dropbox folder on D and then using sync preferences to move the Dropbox folder from C to D would work, but it didn't. I would appreciate any help in reestablishing my Dropbox folder back to D. (FWIW, the "new" Dropbox folder on C has the Dropbox icon with a checkmark at lower left, and the "old" Dropbox folder on D has a plain Dropbox icon).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@MWilcox wrote:

The wording is "In which folder do you want the Dropbox folder?" I selected D:\user\me\Dropbox, and now I have a "new" Dropbox folder within my old Dropbox folder, both on D.

The question was asking what folder do you want your Dropbox folder to be located in; not what folder do you want your files in. Basically, you told it to create a new Dropbox folder inside your existing one. What you wanted to select was D:\user\me, and then Dropbox would have detected the existing folder and asked if you wanted to use it.

You likely have two options.

Exit the Dropbox application then uninstall it. Delete the newly created D:\user\me\Dropbox\Dropbox folder, being sure not to delete your original folder. Reinstall Dropbox again and when selecting a location for the Dropbox folder, be sure to select the folder ABOVE your existing Dropbox folder, so D:\user\me. Dropbox should ask if you want to use the existing folder.

The other option is how I move my Dropbox folder to a new computer, rather than re-downloading everything.

Uninstall Dropbox. Rename your existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar. Reinstall Dropbox and select the location that you want for the Dropbox folder (D:\user\me). When the installation is finished, Dropbox will immediately start to sync. Exit the Dropbox application so syncing stops. Move the content of Dropbox_OLD into the newly created Dropbox folder. When the move is complete, and not before, launch Dropbox again.

At this point Dropbox will begin indexing all of your files. This process will take a while, especially if you have a lot of data to go through. During this time it may say that files are uploading or downloading, but it's only transferring comparison data and any changes that it finds. Be patient and LET IT WORK.

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @MWilcox, thanks for coming to our Community with this.

Can you let me know what happened, when you renamed the old Dropbox folder on your D drive and tried to move the new one through the preferences?

Did you get the same error message, that a Dropbox folder already exists, or was it something else?

Also, at the moment, has the Dropbox app finished syncing your files to the C drive? 

Meaning, do you have two identical Dropbox folders on your computer?

Let me know and we'll go from there.   

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MWilcox
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello and thanks for responding.

My first approach was to rename the existing Dropbox folder on D and then use sync preferences to move the "new" Dropbox folder from C to D. I tried this several times and both times it stopped working in the middle of transferring the files (not sure why). The folder has about 61,000 files. 

It appears that the new Dropbox folder on C has finished syncing. Fortunately, I hadn't added any files to my D Dropbox folder, so I now have three locations with the same files-- Dropbox cloud, and C and D Dropbox folders on my desktop.

If I uninstall/reinstall Dropbox app, is there some way to avoid creating a new Dropbox folder on C and have install app understand there is already a Dropbox folder on D? 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MWilcox, according to the Dropbox desktop application preferences, where is the current location of the Dropbox folder? I am assuming the C drive, right?

Do the sync icons appear in the old or new location?

Also, you mentioned that the process stopped while transferring files. It might sound trivial, but was the device and app open and running at all times during this? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

MWilcox
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello:  I currently have two Dropbox folders-- the folder I have had for a while on D drive (a separate physical drive-- not a partition) ; and the new Dropbox folder on C drive, which was created when I reinstalled the Dropbox app, which was necessitated by having to reformat C drive and reinstall Windows 10. The Dropbox folder on C has the Dropbox icon with a check mark at lower left; and the Dropbox folder on D has the plain Dropbox icon with no other symbols. To my knowledge, there were no disruptions on my system while the file transfer was ongoing. 

At this stage, I suspect I would be better off uninstalling the Dropbox app, deleting the Dropbox folder on C, and then reinstalling the Dropbox app assuming I can direct the installation to use the existing Dropbox folder on D. Is there a way to do this?

MWilcox
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sorry, I didn't fully answer your question. Yes, the sync preference currently points to a folder on C drive.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi from me as well, @MWilcox.

If you reinstall the Dropbox app on your computer and get prompted to set it up again, you should be able to select your already established folder before completing the sign-in steps. 

More specifically, after signing in and before you click on "Open my Dropbox folder", you should see an "Advanced Settings" link. Please click there and try to choose the old syncing location of Dropbox on your D drive. 

For example, if you have your Dropbox folder in the path "D:\OtherDrive\Folder\Dropbox" you'll want to select the folder "D:\OtherDrive\Folder", this time. 

Let me know if that works!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

MWilcox
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

OK, I have uninstalled/reinstalled Dropbox. I selected Advance Settings during the installation setup and it did ask where I wanted to place the Dropbox folder. The wording is "In which folder do you want the Dropbox folder?" I selected D:\user\me\Dropbox, and now I have a "new" Dropbox folder within my old Dropbox folder, both on D.  The old Dropbox folder has the plain Dropbox icon (five blue diamonds in v-shape) next to it. The "new" Dropbox folder has the generic windows yellow folder icon next to it, but also a blue circle with what looks like a white square next to it. It is now syncing my files into this "new" Dropbox folder.  I did not see any place where the Dropbox installation setup can be directed to recognize an existing Dropbox folder.  I assume I can merge these two Dropbox folders, but I would think the surviving folder needs to be the new one, correct?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MWilcox, before I answer your question, could you send me a few screenshots of what you described, in order for me to have a visual too? 

Although, I do think you're correct. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

MWilcox
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Megan, here is my D Drive showing the two Dropbox folders and their symbols. The "new" Dropbox folder is still syncing. 

Image deleted

Need more support?