cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Shell Extension

Remove Shell Extension

Bob M.59
New member | Level 1

How do I remove the DB shell extension? I can't find any such setting to do so.

7 Replies 7

Petteri K.
New member | Level 1

For Windows:

- Download ShellExView and run it. Sort entries alphabetically by description and disable "ContextMenuHandler Class" and "DropboxExt CopyHook Class".

- If you don't want to see the status icons on files and folders you should also disable "DropboxExt1" through "DropboxExt8".

- Kill explorer.exe and restart it from Task Manager: File -> Run new task -> type in explorer and press OK

Bob M.59
New member | Level 1

Have the Dropbox developers ever commented on why they don't allow you to do this natively?

Petteri K.
New member | Level 1

Probably just to make configuring Dropbox easier for non-power users and letting power users use programs like ShellExView to disable them manually.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

They had a command line option, that you invoked in a separate one off execution of the app that removed the integration, this was added due to integration problems detected and not yet corrected at the time.

This appears to have been withdrawn since. Which I found was a pretty arrogant thing to do.

The problem with doing it manually is that the auto update feature of the software is so sloppy that it blindly stabs things back in. I use sysinternals Autoruns and uncheck all the DB app attachment points, then it auto updates and adds a second row of them, I currently have 4 of each hook showing up.

Bob M.59
New member | Level 1

But at least we get spammy push notifications on our mobile apps. Good to see the devs have their priorities straight.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

Mock mock mock mock mock 😛

salah s.2
New member | Level 1

Petteri K.

I did not find the following:

"DropboxExt CopyHook Class" and "DropboxExt1" - "DropboxExt8".

And I still have the "Dropbox Shell Extension"

What should I do?

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

salah s.2 New member | Level 1
    DaveC2 New member | Level 1
    Bob M.59 New member | Level 1
    Petteri K. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?