cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Renaming files: windows re-selects entire filename when other files resync

Renaming files: windows re-selects entire filename when other files resync

AcerbicMaelin
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Found a reproducible annoyance in Windows 10 with Dropbox. I often cycle through a lot of folders using the tab key to rename them one at a time, and this produces an issue where, as soon as the Dropbox app has synced the previous file, Windows highlights all text in the currently-being-edited filename, even if I am tapping through it.

To reproduce:

1. Open a folder containing many files that is currently synced in Dropbox
  2. Click on a file name twice (not doubleclick) to begin renaming it. Rename it however.
  3. Press the Tab key to flick down to the next file in the folder. If the previous filename was still in the 'editing' mode then you will automatically be editing the next filename.
  4. Quickly start using the arrow keys or Home/End to move around in the filename but do not start typing
  5. After a second or two, when the Dropbox App has re-synced the file you previously renamed, Windows will highlight the entire filename that you are currently arrowing-around in - maybe just as you were about to start typing.

I suspect this has something to do with updating the little blue and green file icon overlays.

If you were just about to start inserting some text somewhere in a filename, but hadn't started typing yet, then the fact that the filename has just re-highlighted itself might cause you to overwrite the entire filename instead of inserting the part you were planning.

When doing this with many files this can be a real annoyance. Is a fix possible?

89 Replies 89

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for checking on that @JB40!

I've just sent you an email so we can investigate further through our Support channel, if you'd like to.

Please check you inbox and get back to me there when you have the time - cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

astarothcy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Something tells me that all this "further investigation" never ends up achieving anything. At this point the way you are dealing with this issue is frankly ridiculous, borderline insulting to our intelligence. I won't be renewing my subscription unless you clearly acknowledge the issue and explain exactly what is being done to fix it.

mfoxrb
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Honestly, I don't think they can fix it. This is a limitation that's baked into Windows. See my reply here. I wish they would just come out and say that rather than redirecting people to private email chain where they suggest things they know won't work.

rainking
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've been having the same issue for some time. This is extremely frustrating. It would be nice to get the issue resolved without the usual runaround.

Running Dropbox 117.4.378, Windows 10 Pro, 19041.867.

CGBosn1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Since this has been going on in this thread since April 2019 (And I have been experiencing it for longer than that), should I gather that it's not ever going to get fixed?  It often highlights twice so I have to wait another couple of seconds before actually accomplishing my file name change.  Happens on every machine I own and have Dropbox installed upon. (8 devices).  When my current subscription ends, going to move to other options.  Just getting way too annoying and I'm tired of wasting my time having to teach colleagues the waiting trick for file name changes.

TomMunch
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've been having this problem for many years as well, and I finally got annoyed enough to look and find this thread today. I never assumed it would be a DropBox problem though. Still would be nice to have a fix.

Alexei B.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If it makes anyone happier this crap happens on Onedrive as well. I use both since i have to pay for office anyway... So i assume this is a Windows file explorer problem for "attached drives", of any kind.

grobbio
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

If this happens on Onedrive also, there's a chance microsoft will fix it for their product... and make it work also for dropbox. Could be an idea try to let them know the problem with onedrive thru the feedback app embedded in windows...

mfoxrb
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@grobbio People have for years. Microsoft either a) doesn't care enough to fix it, or b) knows it's the result of something so deeply embedded into Windows that it's difficult to fix.

Dropppppp311
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I see similar behavior throughout windows 10 caused by something else as well. Check out "bulk rename utility" by TGRMN software.

Need more support?