cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Render HTML documents in browser

Render HTML documents in browser

Steve P.23
New member | Level 1

I have a number of HTML documents (intended to be private, NOT intended to be published publicly on the web) stored on dropbox. I would like to use Dropbox's storage and collaboration features to share these HTML documents.

When opening the HTML from the desktop client (i.e. from the dropbox folder in Finder (Mac) (or I guess Windows Explorer)) the HTML renders as expected in my default browser (also loading and executing the external CSS and JS files which are also on Dropbox). But when clicking on the HTML file from the dropbox web app, it previews in an iframe, but doesn't execute the external CSS / JS file.

Is there any way of making it preview the HTML with external CSS and JS? Or alternatively render the HTML on its own - e.g. in a new tab?

I guess this might not be what Dropbox is designed for, but why shouldn't you be able to use it for storing, sharing & collaborating on HTML docs, as just another document type?

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II

Using the Dropbox website, it will only render as HTML if you access the file using a share link (and slightly modify the share link as well). Here's an example:

Of course, when you create a share link to a file, anyone that has that link is able to access it, and anyone can share the link once they have it, so it likely doesn't fit your criteria of not being published on the web.

Steve P.23
New member | Level 1

Thanks, Rich

It's a shame it's quite a clunky process (manually changing the URL), and as you suggest it makes the page publicly accessible. (Part of my idea of idea of using Dropbox was access control)

With my page it's rendering the HTML ok, but hasn't found the external files (CSS, Javascript, images, etc.). I notice in your source HTML you use absolute URLs (e.g. https://dl.dropbox.com/s/....../style.css) - do you know if that's the only way to make it work, or whether there's a way to make it work with relative URLs?

Thanks again!

Rich
Super User II

With share links, yes, absolute URLs must be used, and you would need to create a share link for every files you reference. If you have a Public folder you can use relative URLs as long as all files are in your Public folder somewhere, but again, anything in that folder can be shared publicly.

Note: The Public folder is a deprecated feature. New accounts created after (I think) October 2012 don't have them, and only Pro and Business users have the ability to create one. If your account was created prior to October 2012, you will still have a Public folder as long as you have never deleted it.

Jonathan W.4
New member | Level 1

HTML BUG(?) 2016-08-03:

The HTML file in-browser preview no longer works in the Business account with "team folders" feature enabled. In the past, I've been able to create a share link to the containing folder and the .html files inside that folder all rendered/previewed correctly for an anonymous viewer.

Shared folder example that contains some sample html, pdf and docx files:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h8oqh8jgote9289/AAAUr9U-6OLKmwRxxAZD7ONJa?dl=0

The html files won't render as a preview in the browser, but the other file types do render.

Michael R.54
New member | Level 2

I currently use the public folder and "copy public link" feature from files to share documents daily.  I have a free account.  I got an email saying this feature would end on October 3.  This is a major EMERGENCY for me.  My entire universe is a public share files that I have converted to a tinyurl or a QR code!!!!   Why is this going away?  
If I upgrade to a Pro account, do I have another year before I will lose this feature?  

Arturas O.
New member | Level 1

I will have to move to other cloud storage that has this feature

Rich
Super User II

@michael: This is only going away for HTML files. Documents, images, etc., will continue to work as they always have.

@arturas: This thread has some alternatives for HTML files, at least one of which will sync with your Dropbox so you won't have to change storage providers (and note that other storage providers are moving away from this as well).

adams0312kelly
New member | Level 2

If it's supposed to be private, than why don't you download it and do it all simply like this: http://www.coreldraw.com/en/pages/htm-file/ and if you want upload it to Dropbox after you finish?

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

adams0312kelly New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Arturas O. New member | Level 1
    Michael R.54 New member | Level 2
    Jonathan W.4 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?