cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Request regarding MacOS 10 & 11

Request regarding MacOS X 10.10 (Yosemite) & 10.11 (El Capitan)

justmeinNJ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just received a notice that dropbox will cease support for OS 10.10 and 10.11.

The notice, giving it the most leeway i can, indicated that i should consider upgrading my OS or use a web browser.  This is not always possible.

For many of us, we are at the end of the line re: OS upgrades. I have an old macbook pro that i use for a few light tasks - but the data must be available on others machines. I use dropbox for this.  I also cannot use the web browser unless i wish to upload files with each change.  Impractical.

I will likely wind up switching to a different cloud service, which i would prefer not to do - yet maybe i must.

I don't know why you are ending support. The clients exist already and are unlikely to require many changes, if any.  Please reconsider.

--justmeinNJ

84 Replies 84

rpowerstx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Legacy systems are hard to support. Move on.

Capitalism works....If there is a need, someone is doing it. 

rpowerstx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My Gawd. This entitlement behavior is sickening. You pay for a service. The provider ( a business for profit) elects to not provide service any longer. Move on. 

Legacy systems are hard to support. 

Capitalism works....If there is a need, someone is doing it. Find them.

You typed a novel here....time would have been better served finding a solution. It's out there. 

I picked up a used certified MAC for under $300 by the way. Comes with a 1 yr warranty as well. Upgraded to Catalina. Works good, lasts a long time. 

rpowerstx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My Gawd. This entitlement behavior is sickening. You pay for a service. The provider ( a business for profit) elects to not provide service any longer. Move on. 

Legacy systems are hard to support. 

Capitalism works....If there is a need, someone is doing it. Find them.

You typed a novel here....time would have been better served finding a solution. It's out there. 

I picked up a used certified MAC for under $300 by the way. Comes with a 1 yr warranty as well. Upgraded to Catalina. Works good, lasts a long time. 

justmeinNJ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Move on?  Move on?

One wonders why, if you are so satisfied, you are even here.... Another life-less techie troll here to, well, troll?

Or do you have a stake in this.

I find your arrogance shocking.  Capitalism is based on markets, which are based on contention.  But maybe you never studied economics, its hard to sit through when you already know everything.

Over and out.

rpowerstx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Contention? Really!?  Weird and uniformed.

Lot of maybes here. You'll never know.

We are talking about dropbox support of older MAC systems right? I think your intolerance is shining. Was is the word "Capitalism", that got you?

You are cancelled. Bye.

Colin W.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Shame to hear the angry tones... 

I have newer Macs running newer OSs but want this machine to run this older OS rather than upgrade it (which I could). But this OS allows me to continue to use my Adobe apps I purchased years ago rather than pay $100/month to rent them in future. Plus I have a very sophisticated logging system combined with my own dtrace system observation tools, I'd loose that with unified logging.

So I have to choose dropping Dropbox, it is the less useful option - to me.

Colin W.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Just having a chance to look at my logging it seems Dropbox is still working hard after my local backup and dupe of files. So even though there is no evidence of communication to the cloud DB is working through the file system changes list and noting the file changes. Obviously that will stop when I un-install it!

TerriJo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

For years, I have used Dropbox to automatically backup my financial data.  In a recent email from Dropbox, I learned that they are not supporting OS 10 and11.  Does Dropbox support Mac OS 10.11.6?

Nick B.21
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just received two email today. The first informing me that 10.11 support would end in 14 days - quite a shock. Then a second email telling me that support ended today.

Dropbox - you really have gone the way of Twitter: Down the toilet.

So very sad.

DrJ1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello, I  just received the message from Dropbox that they will no longer support OS 11 ONLY 2 days ago and came upon this thread. It has been working (and still does), but I am very concerned since others note that the end date for support was supposed to be in October. Like others, I have an older Mac desktop that is really an archive of life and work, with applications that will not work with a newer operating system. I am heavily reliant upon Dropbox to move between my home and work computers, and will be unable to continue if they don't sync. Does anyone know when the actual D-day of no support is? I am looking into the other options noted in the thread (pCloud). If I go that route, how do I migrate my Dropbox contents to that drive? I use the Dropbox window on both my desktop and laptop, the latter that has a later operating system; do I have to remove it from one or the other before or after migrating to a new cloud system? Help! I have tons of folders and files going back years, since I have been using Dropbox for at least a decade.

Need more support?