cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request regarding MacOS X 10.10 (Yosemite) & 10.11 (El Capitan)

Request regarding MacOS X 10.10 (Yosemite) & 10.11 (El Capitan)

justmeinNJ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just received a notice that dropbox will cease support for OS 10.10 and 10.11.

The notice, giving it the most leeway i can, indicated that i should consider upgrading my OS or use a web browser.  This is not always possible.

For many of us, we are at the end of the line re: OS upgrades. I have an old macbook pro that i use for a few light tasks - but the data must be available on others machines. I use dropbox for this.  I also cannot use the web browser unless i wish to upload files with each change.  Impractical.

I will likely wind up switching to a different cloud service, which i would prefer not to do - yet maybe i must.

I don't know why you are ending support. The clients exist already and are unlikely to require many changes, if any.  Please reconsider.

--justmeinNJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @justmeinNJ & @Chern  - thanks for dropping by our Community to share your feedback on this.

As you probably know, as of October 17th 2022, the Dropbox desktop app will no longer work on any Mac device running OS X 10.11 or older.

If you do not wish to or cannot update your operating system, all your files will still be available through other compatible computers with supported operating systems, through supported mobile devices, and on the Dropbox website. However, on October 17th, 2022, devices running Mac OS X 10.11 or older will no longer be able to log in and access content through the Dropbox desktop app.

Kindly note that we regularly release new versions of the Dropbox desktop app with additional features, better performance, and security enhancements and these are not always compatible with older systems.

Apple stopped providing security updates to OS X 10.10 and OS X 10.11 in 2017 and 2018 respectively.

We are ending our support of the Dropbox desktop app for these operating systems to keep our product offerings in-line. 

Let me know if you have anything else to add or ask. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

84 Replies 84

Chern
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Here's an idea that your most loyal and long standing Dropbox users will appreciate - KEEP SUPPORTING MacOS 10.10 and 10.11!!

I have a small publishing house and we rely on tried and tested, long lived software to collaborate with other fellow creatives to work together.

We are running on 10.11 El Capitan because it works well with our graphic and publishing softwares. One key collaborative ingredient is Dropbox native sync. (Instead of web based)

To give less than 1 month notice and forcing us to upgrade all our Mac OS on the most reliable, Pre- 2016 intel based macs, is utterly terrible. It is also highly unreasonable.

You are forcing us to do massive upgrades to our other software should we move up to 10.12 and beyond, and our software do not work with the newer OS.

Please, for the love of computing, continue supporting 10.10 and 10.11.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @justmeinNJ & @Chern  - thanks for dropping by our Community to share your feedback on this.

As you probably know, as of October 17th 2022, the Dropbox desktop app will no longer work on any Mac device running OS X 10.11 or older.

If you do not wish to or cannot update your operating system, all your files will still be available through other compatible computers with supported operating systems, through supported mobile devices, and on the Dropbox website. However, on October 17th, 2022, devices running Mac OS X 10.11 or older will no longer be able to log in and access content through the Dropbox desktop app.

Kindly note that we regularly release new versions of the Dropbox desktop app with additional features, better performance, and security enhancements and these are not always compatible with older systems.

Apple stopped providing security updates to OS X 10.10 and OS X 10.11 in 2017 and 2018 respectively.

We are ending our support of the Dropbox desktop app for these operating systems to keep our product offerings in-line. 

Let me know if you have anything else to add or ask. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Chern
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Ok. You've made your stand, gave a standard response, and I will make mine.

My standard response will be to leave Dropbox.

Thank you for the decade of good service. Obviously wasn't a good enough customer for you to consider retaining.

TGVW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same here: loved, used, and paid Dropbox for years.
I have some apps on 4 Macs running which require Mac OS 10.10. 
I could live with limitations (or "use at your own risk") with Dropbox, but if they stop supporting Mac OS 10.10, I have to leave and look for something else.
Any suggestions for alternatives to Dropbox? Does not have to be a free app; I'm happy to pay.
Thanks

Chern
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I've been with Dropbox since 2011 (I have the exact date still fresh in my memory.) Dropbox is great, no doubt, I was subscribing it on and off as my usage increased with the team.

Just paid for pCloud, they have 500gb for a lifetime fee of 175usd. And support down to 10.9.

My migration of data will complete in about a day or so... @TGVW. I wish you and everyone on the same boat, all the best in looking for the right service...

C.

TGVW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks @Chern  ! Yes Dropbox is (was) great and I was happy to pay the 120 $.
But for me (and looks like for others too), support for Mac OS 10.10 or 10.11  is essential.

Just checked pCloud -> Looks exactly like what I need!
So if Dropbox does not change its path and won´t support Mac OS 10.10, I will switch to pCloud.

Emarjay
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Apple made computers that could be upgraded but once the upgrade level was reached, that didn’t mean the computers no longer worked. I’m running a MacbookPro from 2009 and is ALL I CAN AFFORD. I bought it new and it has done me well but now I am 75, retired, with limited pension, and no way can I afford to replace it. It is running 10.10 and to withdraw support with ONE MONTH notice is a disgrace!  I’ve used dropbox for at least ten years I think and been happy to pay despite it being used rarely.

IF THERE IS A WAY TO KEEP THIS RUNNING AT LEAST ANOTHER FEW MONTHS TO GIVE PEOPLE CHANCE TO MIGRATE OR FIND A WAY TO UPDATE, that would be useful and HONOURABLE!

Chern
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
You hit the nail in the Dropbox coffin. My notice was served 21 days in advance.

Not only withdrawing support, they will DISABLE the ability to SYNC files!!! I am happy to use unsupported software at my own risk...

Ironically - I have never used Dropbox support channel until now and for the wrong reasons. 11 years of trouble free run! How many apps can beat that?

Are you Dropbox guys listening yet? Hello? I'm 8 hours from completing my migration to pCloud which I paid for!

TGVW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Chern  same here: used (& paid) Dropbox more than 10 years & never used support.
As @Emarjay wrote too: one month notice is a shame!
Downloaded pCloud and already testing it …

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Backcountry1 Helpful | Level 5
    Marty9 New member | Level 2
    jsahab New member | Level 2
    Antonio28 New member | Level 2
    jennyinabottle New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?