cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Request regarding MacOS X 10.10 (Yosemite) & 10.11 (El Capitan)

Request regarding MacOS X 10.10 (Yosemite) & 10.11 (El Capitan)

justmeinNJ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just received a notice that dropbox will cease support for OS 10.10 and 10.11.

The notice, giving it the most leeway i can, indicated that i should consider upgrading my OS or use a web browser.  This is not always possible.

For many of us, we are at the end of the line re: OS upgrades. I have an old macbook pro that i use for a few light tasks - but the data must be available on others machines. I use dropbox for this.  I also cannot use the web browser unless i wish to upload files with each change.  Impractical.

I will likely wind up switching to a different cloud service, which i would prefer not to do - yet maybe i must.

I don't know why you are ending support. The clients exist already and are unlikely to require many changes, if any.  Please reconsider.

--justmeinNJ

84 Replies 84

Colin W.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Any updates if anyone still getting synch after a week now?

francescoMM
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
This is a serious issue for a LOT of people. Marking this as "solved" is even insulting.
You are not ending suport for an older os but to older, perfectly working, computers that cannot upgrade (and Apple is as guilty).
Just keeping the older versions of the client available is too much of an effort?
Im a a totally faithful client and I have recomended DB to a lot of people, beeing "the technical guy", and some of those are now asking me for a solution that does not imply dumping their 17" 2TB SSD 2008 MacBook Pro. (And with what?)
This is just crazy.

loukash
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Colin W.1 wrote:

Any updates if anyone still getting synch after a week now?

After successfully blocking v163 from updating last week – see dropboxforum.com/t5/648938/highlight/true#M48871 â€“ I simply moved on with pCloud. So I don't even know if v163 still works. pCloud does almost everything for me that Dropbox did, and even more, and better.
Dropbox is now in use only for apps that are connecting to it directly via API, like certain browser extensions or password managers. pCloud apparently lacks that mechanism, or perhaps Dropbox rather became such a ubiquitous product that many 3rd party developers don't support anything else.

(edit: it's called "pCloud", not "pDrive", haha…)

(or to paraphrase George Clinton's Parliament/Funkadelic: Make my cloud to pCloud, I want my cloud uncut! 😉 )

DrJ1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello, DB indeed stopped working on my desktop; the app in fact just disappeared one day (swoosh!)  and no longer syncs when accessing the folders through a browser, which means no coordination between my work laptop and home desktop. This is beyond a serious nuisance as it impacts my work.

I appreciate the suggestions made on this thread, but while I am not a troglodyte (!) some of technical work-arounds are over my head (or beyond the time I can devote to the task). I consulted my tech person who basically thinks there is little way to avoid buying a new desktop--with the caveat that of course once I do so all sorts of other things won't work on the new machine (ie I have Adobe software suite pre-subscription mode, that I use a lot).  Annoying...

Colin W.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi DrJ1,

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me, I want to keep Adobe pre-CC in use. There are other ways of synching files and I think those solutions will be cheaper than than 1 month of CC! I share some folders with others so DB is harder to replace there, as well as the 1Password synch that worked well for me...

Backcountry1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Walter, 

The Dropbox web browser version is not a workable or reliable alternative. I just get a blank screen on both Mac10.11. I've spent days trying to figure out, but I see Dropbox forums that suggest this is not just an issue my computer.

I empathize with all those stating they can't afford the Mac upgrades.  Post COVID my finances are destroyed and I work on contract basis with low income.  Now I have to tell those I contract with with that I can't use Dropbox to exchange work files anymore??  Wow.  My head is spinning with the implications of the embarrassment, the cost, the switching time and the loss of (old) apps that I used on an old research project, from which I still extract data. 

Wow! Dropbox can you offer us anything??

justmeinNJ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I see this has been marked solved.  Since dropbox has done -- unless i missed it - nothing, how was this solved?

My only "solution" is to ween myself off Dropbox.  I've essentially given up on this particular era of support but now i know more is to come.

So the only alternative is abandon ship.

_G

alexanderschultz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just going to add my voice to the cacophony of upset users.  I can appreciate the stated rationale about Apple no longer supporting Dropbox security upgrades for their cloud storage model.  But I cannot fathom why the solution would be to force perhaps millions of users to either upgrade their OS (and in most cases that means buying a new computer) or replace a perfectly functional machine. Some here have stated precisely why they reached an essential stop point on the OS Upgrade hamster wheel.

The planed obsolesce model is built into Apple products (and everyone else's for that matter HAVE MAY USB CHARGING CABLES have we all purchased and chucked in the last 5 years?) but I expected better from Dropbox whose support in the past had always been reliable and welcome.

I will keep running El Capitan until this young MAC decides to give up its ghost and in the meantime will begin the painful and unfortunate migration to another cloud sharing service. 

Good luck to the rest of you!

ChristineMaurice
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I was able to upgrade to Macos 10.11 which kept the app working until this year due to the changes you have made. I do the Accounts for Three Companies on my Mac and two of these are on Accountedge V9.5 (which I know is old software as well but this has worked very well for us). I use to be able to go into the dropbox app on my desktop, get into my accounts  do the work and then watch them sync and update.

It was a very user friendly system. This week I have  had to learn how to use dropbox.com online and now find I can't access my accounts. The response I received when I reached out to the Help team was: 

It is my understanding that you would like to use the Accountedge V9.5 app with Dropbox.com online.

"The problem you’re experiencing appears to be caused by another app or service you’re using and with the accessibility on Dropbox.com. We’re unable to provide support for third-party apps or services.  

The best way for you to get assistance with the problem is to reach out to the company that makes the app or service for support. I’d also suggest searching in the Dropbox Community: https://www.dropboxforum.com

I will now try contacting Accountedge to see if they can throw light on what would be the "other app or service" to give me access to Dropbox. Time is my employers money and I am finding I am spending a lot of time trying to sort out the problems created by DB not supporting my system anymore.  So frustrating and a bit depressing actually. 

Colin W.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Ohh, further insult / gotcha now. I can't use latest possible Safari on El Capitan to access the Dropbox website, it starts to display but clears to a blank page. Probably does not like older Safari support (this old Safari 11.1.2 fails to load quite a number of interactive web2.0 type pages).

Firefox latest possible also does not deal with the website. (I have updated and extended TLS root certificates since this was sometimes a problem on some sites.)

SO, no compatibility mode for browser use or desktop app integration. COME ON DROPBOX! is this thought through at all? I'm sure you said somewhere you can continue to access data though your browser but you are making it very tough on us.

I could get the web site uploading working using Brave browser which continues some support and dev, Version 1.5.115 Chromium: 80.0.3987.149 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Need more support?