cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync and Quick Preview on Mac

Smart Sync and Quick Preview on Mac

Andrew-RFLB
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Smart Sync causes my quick preview function (spacebar) to not function properly on my Mac. I can't preview thumbnails, or quick preview any videos or photos. Any ideas why this happens?

147 Replies 147

CNowell
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Additionally, @TangoDB has started a new thread here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/Is-Smart-Sync-and-Quick-Preview-issue-o...

Might be best to take any inquiries around the status of this bug here.

User4759
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've just resigned myself to resetting QuickLook through Terminal several times per working session. 

Ckrupinsky
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

If you relaunch your finder from your desktop it seems to fix it (for the time being).

This has only been happening to me since I upgraded to DP Pro. Something isn't right. I has to be a bug on the DB side. Hopefully they can get this resolved, I definitley don't want to relaunch my finder every hour or so.

Thanks for the intel thus far.

Rod2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm having the exact same problems described. Any solutions yet???

My workaround has been relaunching Finder multiple times a day. Very annoying!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Ckrupinsky & Rod2, I appreciate the time you took to post us on this matter! 

At this point, let me re-iterate Rich’s point on the first page that Online Only files leave behind only a marker file containing just the necessary information to make it appear in the folder, which doesn’t have any content. (Ckrupinsky) It’s my understanding that you’ve been experiencing this issue after upgrading your account to Dropbox Professional though, as in all likelihood you’ve utilized the Smart Sync feature after the upgrade. 

I understand that you’re interested in seeing a change in this behavior & I’ve made our team aware of your comments & interest. After further investigation though, the latest update I received is that what you’re seeing is indeed expected & if there was any improvement, it should have been from the OS vendor’s side. 

Apologies if that’s not ideal to you & I hope that this brings some more clarity to your initial query. Of course, I’m always here if you’d like to further discuss it, so please keep me updated on this thread, as I’ve gathered all relevant comments from different threads here. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Rod2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi Jane

No, it looks like you still don’t understand what the problem is.

We’re NOT taking about files that are available online only. I’m unable to preview files AFTER they have been downloded and made Local!

Let me repeat: I am not able to “space bar” files that are available LOCALLY on my machine. And to make matters worse, once I hit the “make local” option, Dropbox makes me lose “space bar preview” on ALL my files, even those that are on my Desktop, for example. It’s clearly a bug from Dropbox that’s affecting all OS.

Space bar only starts working again after I do a “relaunch finder” command.

Is that clear now?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I appreciate your admittedly very detailed post here @Rod2

As I’d like to put that to the attention of a specialized team member, I’ve made sure to create a Support Request on our system on your behalf (gathering all info you’ve included on this discussion here), so as to forward your request to a specialized colleague. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you & help you address this inquiry in any way I can. 

Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next email, so as to move forward on the matter together!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

User4759
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I opened a support ticket. They said to turn off Dropbox and see if it was still happening, because that would prove it wasn't Dropbox. I turned it off during a time when it was acting up and the problem continued. I'm not convinced that rules out Dropbox, but Support apparently is, and maybe they're right. I can't find any trace of a single non-Dropbox using Mac user who has to use the "qlmanage -r" command in terminal after about every 10 viewings of an image, but that's my life now. And no one is interested in helping.

annienar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It is Dropbox, after I had issues with this, I had to unsync everything I had on my computer from dropbox, disable the smart sync and use dropbox the old way, and I didn't have the issue anymore, the problem is with the Smart Sync feature, it does something in OSX that after a while messes up the quick preview feature for everything on the computer, disregarding if it's a dropbox file, synced or not or a local file.

This is a issue with dropbox and I'm really dissapointed by the way this has been handled, specially since this is a feature for enterprise accounts. I thought they would pay more attention to this issues and not dismiss them just like they have been doing in this thread. 

CNowell
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Jane This is what we've been discussing all along with @Rod2's post details, and there's a significant amount of users in this thread also having this same issue.

What about the rest of us?

PLEASE, whatever you do, don't consider the issue "resolved" with just Rod2. 
AT LEAST inform the rest of us what's going on in here, or when we can expect a fix, if any.

@Rod2, at the risk of sounding pessimistic, don't be surprised if they say it's OSX's problem (...how can they even justifify this explanation? Dropbox makes software for Apple, not the other way around). On the flipside, I hope your customer service experience is better than mine!

Pardon any abrasiveness in this post, but the level of blame shifting or support quality in this thread is starting to wear thin on me.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    jgalindo New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?