cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart sync icons missing

Smart sync icons missing

Greg T.16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The venerable "missing smart sync icons" problem.

• MacOS Mojave 10.14.2 
  • Dropbox 64.4.141.  (Professional Acct)
  • Have reinstalled DB several times (including via full desktop download).
  • Tried the "check-uncheck finder integration"  (have uncheck, uninstalled, reinstalled, rechecked, too).
  • Have unlinked account and relinked account.
  • ForceQuit finder more times than I can remember.
  • Have ForceQuit the Dropbox Finder Integration app.. every time b/f restarting or trying fresh install.

Menu options for local vs OnlineOnly are active and work. Just can't tell looking at any file/folder in Finder whether it is local or online only.

What am I missing?

OneDrive does this, no problem.  Just about at my ropes end with DB.

121 Replies 121

dbreezer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Graphic converter extensions also do not play nice with smart sync icons.  Dropbox smart sync icons re-appear after turning GraphicConverter extensions off.

Michael D.105
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I ran across this fix myself but still seems sot happen repeatedly after every reboot as a minimum.  

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I have wasted so many hours with this and have uninstalled every other cloud service I use (why, oh why do I even need to do this?!)...has it really come to this that Dropbox requires it be the *only* cloud service or Finder Extension with Finder icons used on my Mac?! I have de-installed them all, and still I keep losing my Smart Sync icons in the macOS Finder. So frustrated with all of these Dropbox idiosyncrasies that I just don't know anymore whether it's worth the trouble at this price.

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

(double post...deleted)

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I just temporarily fixed it by force-quitting my SetApp and BetterZip Finder Extensions, both of which I need, both of which have nothing to do with the cloud, proving to me that Dropbox does indeed require that it be the *only* active Finder Extension on my system. How is that ok?!!

The joke is that if I don't run Dropbox, all the other Finder Extensions can coexist peacefully. What does that tell us about Dropbox's quality control?

Steciu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

It now works for me (Big Sur, latest version of DB)

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

It now works for me too, but is it really a "solution" to uninstall every other program that has a Finder extension/integration.

Admittedly, I'm in a minority, being on macOS, but can someone with Windows tell me whether it works alongside other apps that use icons in Windows Explorer?

lynmac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Temp Fix (Mac OSx):  Force quit Finder

Not sure why it’s needed but it works

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@lynmac Is DB the only utility you use that has FInder integration (icons or a sub-menu)? Because force-relaunching Finder is only a (temporary) fix if there are no other utilities that also use Finder integration...at least for me that is the case...am I the only one here who has to diable all others to get DB to work?

lynmac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@tillkrueger not sure. haven’t checked.

Regardless, I agree that workarounds, temp fixes, etc don’t cut it for a paid service.  Mac users deserve a solution.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    MLondon Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?