cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop App for Mac not working, stuck in "sync," can't access recent files

Desktop App for Mac not working, stuck in "sync," can't access recent files

Snowdrop
Explorer | Level 3

My Dropbox desktop app (for Mac) hasn't worked since a recent update - I've tried reinstalling Dropbox and no dice. The Dropbox website says I need the Dropbox Update app but I don't see how to install that anywhere. My web browser version of Dropbox is fine but missing recent files that I uploaded into my desktop folder -  I'm also running into issues when I'm trying to open files or import them into design work. I get this error message when trying to open a file from the desktop folder: 

Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 17.53.04.png

And I do have Dropbox in my taskbar, but it's stuck in "syncing" - I've restarted Dropbox and my computer several times. 

2021 Macbook Pro, Monterey OS
My Dropbox app says it's v187.4.5691

Please let me know how to resolve this - thank you! 

16 Replies 16

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @Snowdrop, let's investigate together! 

As a first step, keep in mind that it seems like you're using our latest version, since 187.4.5691 would be the one. 

How long has the app been stuck in this syncing status? Do you see a number of files trying to sync and if yes, does that number appear to change or does it remain the same?

Try to also make sure that all other apps are closed and that there's no antivirus, firewall, VPN etc. running, and then start the Dropbox app again.

Reply back to me, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Snowdrop
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @megan - it's been stuck in "syncing" for several days. It's not giving me a number of files, just says "syncing." 

I have no antivirus/firewall/VPN running, have restarted Dropbox 3 times today, and no improvement. Is there anything else I can try? 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Snowdrop and @Simple, can you check if the Dropbox app has full disk access by following these steps and let me know if that helps?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Snowdrop
Explorer | Level 3

@Hannah - the Dropbox app has full disk access. It's still stuck in "Syncing" without a specific number of files, and I still can't open files from my desktop Dropbox folder (so basically can't do any design or client work at the moment -ARGH!!). This didn't help. Is there anything else I can try? 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hmm, try these steps here to fix your hardlinks and permissions and let me know how that goes, please.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Snowdrop
Explorer | Level 3

@Hannah - fixed the hardlinks and permissions, restarted my computer, and nothing changed - still stuck in "syncing" with no number of files and I still can't open files from my desktop folders. Please advise. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Snowdrop, is it possible that you have more than 300K files in your Dropbox folder, which would be the app's soft limit? If yes, do all these files sync locally? 

Would you mind checking the properties and Get info part of your Dropbox folder, to identify how many files you have there? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Snowdrop
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Megan - I don't see the number of files in "Get Info" - where should I be seeing this? And no, I have all new files set to sync online-only. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Sorry for jumping in, @Snowdrop. This is where the number of files should be showing. 

Can you right click on your local Dropbox folder again, select “Get info”, and send me a screenshot of what you see? I’d also like to take a look. 

Finally, you mentioned in the beginning that all this started after a recent update. Was it this one perhaps? Has your Dropbox folder been moved to this filepath ~/Library/CloudStorage ever since, and it's still trying to sync?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Snowdrop Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?