cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Dropbox folders in Windows Explorer take minutes to refresh

Some Dropbox folders in Windows Explorer take minutes to refresh

Terry H.10
Helpful | Level 6

Let me give you an example of what's happening: I am in a Windows Explorer folder that is synced with Dropbox. I click to re-order the items in the folder (e.g. sort by date, sort by duration of music file, etc.) The green progress bar begins and it can take 30 seconds or 2 minutes or 5 minutes to complete. In other words, folder changes or refreshes can take a very long time. This only happens in folders within the Dropbox part of my folder structure, and it appears to be much worse in some sub-folders. I recall contacting Dropbox support a year or two ago (because I have had this for a long time) and they told me to follow a complex process (including registry edits if I recall correctly) to uninstall and reinstall Dropbox and clean up my file structure. It sounded like there was a corruption somewhere. Clearly I didn't want to do this because it's a huge hassle to reinstall and then resync hundreds of thousands of files. Has anyone else seen this problem, and is there a way of fixing it?

11 Replies 11

Terry H.10
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the explanation. I still have a question!

When I look at my file structure it is

C: > Users > Terry > Dropbox > [all the folders I use with Dropbox]

(I believe that was the default location when I first installed Dropbox on the PC)

So when I uninstall the Dropbox app, I assume it doesn't change that structure, i.e. that Dropbox folder will still be there, in the same place, it just won't sync.

If that's the case, when I reinstall Dropbox, how does Dropbox know that folder is there, so it can re-sync to it? Do I have to set that up during the install, or is it automatic in the sense that I used the default location when I first installed Dropbox?

Terry 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

The files would remain on your computer, and the Dropbox folder wouldn't be syncing while the app is uninstalled and unlinked.

When you reinstall, since it's the default location, the Dropbox desktop application would detect it and sync changes. 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Terry H.10 Helpful | Level 6
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?