cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spotlight search issue after updating to stable build 163.4.5456

Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

dsnidey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After upgrading to macOS Ventura, I was prompted to upgrade to "Dropbox for macOS 12". I proceeded with that, it moved my Dropbox folder to ~/Library/CloudStorage and confirmed all was successful. Now when using Spotlight to search (I often type something like 'drawings folder' to open a folder called Drawings) the results in Spotlight show the Dropbox app icon beside the name of the item I want (rather than a Finder icon for folder or file). Hitting Enter or clicking on the result switches to Finder and does nothing, or sometimes will open the Applications folder and show the Dropbox app. It's not linking me to the actual file in ~/Library/CloudStorage. 

I have done the following and the problem is not solved:

• Restarted
  • Ensured all files are available for offline access
  • Rebuilt the spotlight index
  • Unlinked Dropbox from this Mac, did a complete clean install of dropbox, performed the upgrade to v159.4.5870 and synced just one folder to begin

Nothing works. Any suggestions??

398 Replies 398

ak30
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I've followed your suggestion of reindexing but it doesn't yield any results. The thing is, it does show the folder I searched for in the spotlight results but clicking on the result (to open the folder) does nothing, it won't work. Not sure it's still an indexing issue vs a dropbox bug post update.

professor1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Update: Spotlight successfully finds and opens Dropbox files and folders, just like old times. A few days ago, here's what I did:

(1) Unlink Dropbox from my computer

(2) Uninstall Dropbox (which deletes all local-only files)

(3) Reinstall Dropbox, and make all files available offline

(4) Update to the latest version of Dropbox, as prompted.

I'm running OS Ventura. I had the same problem everyone describes in this thread and tried re-indexing and all that--no luck. I have no idea why this suddenly worked.

3zero2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Maybe you upgraded to Ventura 13.1?

professor1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

As far as I remember, I was already running Ventura 13.0.1.

dreamingenthusiast
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Nancy, I appreciate you reaching out. I am not able to open a support ticket on the free plan. However, I did find a way to add Dropbox to the Spotlight restriction, then remove it. After re-indexing, the search still does not work. Is there another way to troubleshoot this?

Styline
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@professor1 Can you report back after a few days / a week if it's still working for you correctly. It appears like newly added / freshly indexed files are usually able to be opened for some days, but afterwards at some point they are not. Would be great to know if this is still working for you in a week from now.

_Alex_
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am experiencing exactly the same problem which is extremely annoying

Rua
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi,

There was an issue with opening folders found in a Spotlight search. Upgrading your Mac to 13.1 should fix this issue.

For other Spotlight issues, Walter's reply here outlines steps to re-index your Dropbox folder, we have found that in some cases it is necessary to re-index your entire disk in order to fix the issue.

Hope this helps.

Krisztián K.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi! After the update, all Dropbox files were moved to the Cloud Files folder. [/Users/username/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox] The Spotlight search function has not worked since then. Or it works, but doesn't open the file. What is the solution to this? Thanks!

ilmaio
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, 

i have the same problem.

I'm running MacOs Ventura 13.1 and I already tried to rebuild the index, but the issue remain.

Spotlight finds files inside  dropbox folder but cannot open it.

Need more support?