cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck on "upgrading dropbox"

Stuck on "upgrading dropbox"

Martin T.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

As of today Dropbox is permanently stuck on "upgrading Dropbox". I'm running Dropbox in Linux. I've found references to such error messages a good while back by Googling, but no simple fix.

31 Replies 31

DBOnLinux
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you for this solution. I appreciate it. However, it is only partial - as my post further down explains.

Dinsdale
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I was in the same situation as the others here on the current opensuse level.  I tried to adapt ngtr's solution without really understanding it and got into a situation where dropbox was trying to reinstall - and then hanging on 98% - on every new session.

Running "dropbox start" from the command line showed that something was looking for "libatomic.so.1" so I installed the newest libatomic package (not the gcc7 one, that would have been next) and now everything appears to work again.

Ugly.  Very ugly.

Goodboi
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I had same issue on Fedora 31, to fix that install libatomic:

sudo dnf install libatomic

vespa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for the libatomic advice. I'm also on Fedora 31 and can confirm installing libatomic and restarting dropbox fixed the issue for me as well.

kumpa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

yup, worked for me too on fedora 26

szydra
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

On Ubuntu 18.04 running:

apt-get install libatomic-ops-dev

solved the problem.

Dinsdale
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I thought  libatomic-ops-dev  was gcc7 based, the  libatomic1 I installed is based on gcc8.  There was no research on my part when I installed it, it was a case of "see if this works".  It did.

I don't know how anyone else approached this but I entered "dropbox start" in a console-window and the error message made it clear what was missing.

szydra
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@DinsdaleFor me libatomic-ops-dev worked (no error in console), however after your post I tried libatomic1 and it worked, too.

Dinsdale
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

A big - and strange - new development.

I have a second machine which also uses Dropbox and which was also exhibiting the same symptoms.  So I installed libatomic1 there, logged out and logged in again.  Dropbox then announced that it was "Up to date".

Strange is: I had reinstalled Dropbox on my first machine and now have 85.4.155 there.  This second machine claims to have 84.4.170 but is "Up to date".

danielbradley
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is still ocurring, i.e. Linux update is failing and stalling the Dropbox service.

$ ./dropbox.py status

Upgrading Dropbox...

If you have downloaded the above python "dropbox.py" script from the Dropbox Linux page, you can do the following to at least get the Dropbox service running again:

$ ./dropbox.py stop

Dropbox daemon stopped.

$ ./dropbox.py start

Starting Dropbox...dropbox: locating interpreter

Regards,

Daniel.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

davewiner Explorer | Level 3
    danielbradley New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?