cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Submenus on Dropbox application are not working under KDE/Linux.

Submenus on Dropbox application are not working under KDE/Linux.

Hakan B.
Helpful | Level 7

Hello,

I'm having a problem with submenus on the Dropbox application's submenus on KDE based systems.

I personally use two Debian bookworm installations. One is running XFCE4, and the other is running KDE as their desktop applications. When I right click to the Dropbox application's tray icon, the menu opens as usual. On the KDE system, the submenus for "Snooze notifications" and "Recently changed files" refuse to open. On the XFCE4 system, they work as expected.

This issue is going on for at least a year as of today, so it's not limited to Debian Bookworm release.

Any help will be greatly apprecialted.

Cheers,

H.

17 Replies 17

Hakan B.
Helpful | Level 7

Hello @Walter,

And you just had a reply.

No problems, I'm no stranger to software development. On the other hand, system tray being one of the shared standards between environments and systems, I have hope that it's a low hanging fruit and will be one of the bigger and easier wins for the Dropbox for Linux.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I totally understand, Hakan - thanks for the nudge btw!

I've just replied back to your email, so take a glance at your inbox and we'll pick this up from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

vjchoe
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there - sorry to butt in but is there any update on this? I am also having this issue on my Debian 11 system running KDE Plasma and would love to know if there's a resolution.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @vjchoe, sorry to hear about this.

Could you please check if this is also occurring on a supported desktop environment from the ones outlined here?

Let us know what you find!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@vjchoe wrote:

... and would love to know if there's a resolution.

Hi @vjchoe,

Most probably never (if the issue doesn't resolve itself). This is long term discussion (for many years). Seems Dropbox development inconsistently adds some new "features" and make application work unstable. More than 2 years ago, I posted a complaint for the same. 🤷 My complaint is definitely not the first one! As you already know - no any reaction. 🤦

You may try the 32-bits version.

Good luck... to all of us.

vjchoe
Explorer | Level 4

thanks for the heads up @Здравко, it's good to know that this is not being worked on, even if it is a little annoying. the troubles of proprietary software, i suppose 🙂 i had no idea this conversation had been going on for so long!

i will try the 32 bit version though, thank you for the suggestion 🙂

WildPenguin
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I'm having the same issue (on KDE Plasma).

This is on Arch Linux, and more than meets the minimum requirements, save for the distribution, which is not officially supported. But from the previous posts, gather this is an issue with Dropbox on KDE Plasma regardless of the distribution.

I do hope Dropbox really gets into this. I need dropbox to co-operate with the current group I'm working on, but as soon as I'm not forced to use it, I will choose not to in the current state of the application usability, but seek other alternatives.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @WildPenguin, I hope you're doing well!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It's definitely on our radar, and we're keeping an eye out on this. 

If anything changes, we'll update this thread. Thanks!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?