cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take Dropbox out of Mac Library

Take Dropbox out of Mac Library

ShanaC
Explorer | Level 4

The Dropbox upgrade moved the dropbox files to my  ~/Library/CloudStorage/ --- but I can't save any files to that folder. 

All the online instructions say "do the advanced reinstallation per this page: https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall " -- but the instructions on this page aren't visible;  the accordions don't open. 

How can I move my files out of my library and back to my user folder, so I can edit them? 

46 Replies 46

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi all, I just wanted to mention that the issue with the drop-downs in the Help Center article is fixed now. 

For anyone affected, could you perform an advanced reinstall and let us know you're still experiencing any issues? 

Thanks so much! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ShanaC
Explorer | Level 4

This is WONDERFUL news.  It seems like I can actually save things to my dropbox again! 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Glad to hear it's working for you again @ShanaC - thanks for update too!

See you around the Community and take care!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Joergos
Explorer | Level 3

Many Thanks.
With the text in the drop down I was finally able to reinstall dropbox on my MAC.
The process with the strings in the Terminal app was the key point.

Andrew Parker
Helpful | Level 7

Was the aim to reinstall an earlier version?

Joergos
Explorer | Level 3

no,
no matter which DB version, it was a rights problem on the MAC in my MAC user registration.

Andrew Parker
Helpful | Level 7

Hi all, like many Mac users, I have struggled with Dropbox since the introduction of OS12.3 back in March. Regardless, I have persevered, anticipating a long awaited solution to the online/offline issue that has resulted in 8 months of pain.

It now seems like the "fix" is actually going to render Dropbox completely useless for our organisation. 

For context, I run a studio of around 20 people, all working remotely. We use many applications that link to assets using absolute paths. Because of this we all have our Dropbox located at Macintosh HD > Users > Shared > Studio Dropbox. When a link is created to an asset (InDesign linking to an image for example), it doesn't matter whose Mac that is done on, open the same file on any machine and the link is the same. Crucially the user account of an individuals Mac never comes into play.

It's obviously incredibly frustrating to learn that Apple will now stipulate that the Dropbox folder must reside in a users CloudStorage folder, meaning that the above is completely impossible.

Is Dropbox a lost cause? I can't see any workarounds that will make Dropbox feasible going forward.

Anyone experiencing the same?

BJRo
New member | Level 2

Yes, I just simply moved my Dropbox folder and of course then needed to relink it. Was working fine where it was, but when trying to re-link it won't allow it to be stored anywhere but in the user library folder which makes no sense whatsoever.

BJRo
New member | Level 2

I'm going to have to find an alternative way to work with clients, currently my clients are paying for dropbox to work with us collaboratively. Multiple clients, what a mad situation.

Andrew Parker
Helpful | Level 7

Yep, same situation here, plus collaboratively working with other team members. No idea what the solution is.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

eedis Helpful | Level 5
    genox New member | Level 2
    discofuel Helpful | Level 6
    Andrew Parker Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?