cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The installation of dropboxd can't be completed on my linux box

The installation of dropboxd can't be completed on my linux box

Takeshi1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi.

I'm trying to install dropbox on my linux box, which is runnnign Debian 9 (stretch).

1. Download of dropbox
$ cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf -

2. Installation (tsuyama means my account)
~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

dropbox: locating interpreter
dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-dpL0Tx
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: initializing python 3.5.4
dropbox: setting program path '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/dropbox'
dropbox: setting home path '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93'
dropbox: setting python path '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93:/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/python-packages-35.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running dropbox
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running main script
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/linuxffi.pthread._linuxffi_pthread.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/cpuid.compiled._cpuid.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/linuxffi.fcntl._linuxffi_fcntl.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/linuxffi.sys.compiled._linuxffi_sys.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/linuxffi.resolv.compiled._linuxffi_resolv.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/tornado.speedups.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/linuxffi.gnu.compiled._linuxffi_gnu.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/posixffi.libc._posixffi_libc.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/librsyncffi.compiled._librsyncffi.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
 Dropbox ...
https://www.dropbox.com/cli_link_nonce?nonce=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3. I open the above URL, and I login successfully with my Dropbox account.

4. But, the below message is shown, and the installation seems to be freezed.
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tsuyama/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/PyQt5.QtCore.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'

My question is how to fix this problem. Any idea?

13 Replies 13

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @edwardc; thanks for joining our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

There's a similar discussion which provides some pointers in the following link:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Unable-to-install-Dropbox-on-Ubuntu-20...

Could you take a look and let me know if they helped at all?

PS: I'm not sure if this would help here, but you can also try running the following command:

$ sudo apt install python-gpgme

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

edwardc
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion but sadly, no on both counts.  (BTW, this problem not only shows up on Mint 20 and Ubuntu 20.04 but they were tested on different machines.)

I'm running the release Ubuntu 20.04, not a beta.  In any casem libango isn't part of a repository for Ubuntu 20.04.

sudo apt-get install libango
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libango

A similar problem with your suggestion:

root@euclid-Mac:~#apt install python-gpgme
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package python-gpgme

edwardc
Explorer | Level 3

OK, I've figured out a way to solve my problems and tested it on both Ubuntu 20.04 and Mint 20.

"Dropbox Headless Install via command line" still doesn't works in some sense this is a workaround.  That is the hang remains with:

cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf -

But if I download the dropbox .deb, install it, and then run:

dropbox start -i

it installs.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Edward; I'm glad you sorted this out in the end.

See you around the Community! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    edwardc Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?