cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Updated version of Dropbox won't start (macOS Monterey 12.6.1)

Updated version of Dropbox won't start (macOS Montery 12.6.1)

jpallas
Explorer | Level 4

I foolishly let Dropbox update and now it won't start.  I uninstalled and reinstalled (version 162.4.5419) but still get the "Couldn't start Dropbox. This may be a temporary error.  Please restart Dropbox.  For more information click the help button.  If the issue persists, please contact Dropbox support with the following info for help".

The info is:

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 162.4.5419
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 56
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 19f98d24-9234-5051-88a7-7e0ca3466bd3
pid: 923
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='joe', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Joe Pallas', pw_dir='/Volumes/User SSD/Users/joe', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='joe', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Joe Pallas', pw_dir='/Volumes/User SSD/Users/joe', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'joe', 'michelle', 'admin', '_xcsbuildagent', '_nsurlstoraged', '_xcscredserver'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'joe', 'michelle', 'admin', '_xcsbuildagent', '_nsurlstoraged', '_xcscredserver'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
     real_path='/'
            mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
     parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Volumes/User SSD/Users/joe'
appdata: '/Users/joe/.dropbox/instance1'
         real_path='/Users/joe/.dropbox/instance1'
                mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
         parent mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Volumes/User SSD/Users/joe/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
              real_path='/Volumes/User SSD/Users/joe/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
              parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                      mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                      not found
                parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/0k/xm390gj513g25p6bw5h9nhxh0000gn/T'
         real_path='/private/var/folders/0k/xm390gj513g25p6bw5h9nhxh0000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5188, in _setup_root_for_account
  File "dropbox/sync_root/helpers.pyc", line 420, in get_root_for_account
  File "dropbox/foundation/futures/basic.pyc", line 853, in result
  File "dropbox/sync_root/handlers/macos/file_provider.pyc", line 121, in set_result_or_convert_exception
dropbox.mac.internal.MacError: [Errno -2001] Error Domain=NSFileProviderErrorDomain Code=-2001 "No valid file provider found with identifier com.getdropbox.dropbox.fileprovider/ba27a4ca-e1eb-4cc4-9918-12d012b31aca." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=No valid file provider found with identifier com.getdropbox.dropbox.fileprovider/ba27a4ca-e1eb-4cc4-9918-12d012b31aca.}

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @jpallas, sorry to see you're having issues with this and happy Monday.

The error you are encountering seems to be a temporary one and should be fixed by a simple restart of the Dropbox desktop app:

• If Dropbox is still running:
    • Stop Dropbox by clicking on the Dropbox icon in the menu bar.
    • Click on your profile picture or initials.
    • Click Quit.
  • To restart:
    • Restart Dropbox by double-clicking on the Dropbox icon in the Application folder.

If the issue persists following the restart, please let us know and we can investigate further.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

jpallas
Explorer | Level 4

Well, I did try restarting it before posting my message, and it made no difference.  I’m a little concerned about the information in this file.  It says “storing your Dropbox folder on an external drive is no longer supported.”  But I have my entire home directory on an external drive. Is this a supported configuration?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

If you chose to update the desktop app to this version, I'm afraid an external drive is not a supported location for your Dropbox folder and your Dropbox folder will be moved to ~/Library/CloudStorage @jpallas

I hope this clears things up!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

jpallas
Explorer | Level 4

I’d be perfectly happy with my Dropbox folder being in ~/Library/CloudStorage.  I don’t especially care where the Dropbox folder is.  But Dropbox is refusing to start at all.  

In my case ~/Library/CloudStorage is on an external drive, because my home directory is on an external drive (the internal drive on my Mac mini is too small).  I know this is an unusual configuration, but does this mean I can’t run Dropbox any more?

billgdbx
Dropbox Engineer

@jpallas the situation is a little more nuanced than that.  While Apple does not support File Provider on external drives, they do seem to support it if the home directory as well is on the external drive, and if the drive is formatted as APFS.  The summary is:  I think you are running into a different, known issue which we are actively working on, and not a problem with External Drive support.  

What I did was to install a home directory on an external drive and try to start up Dropbox.  It failed, but the error was different from yours.  In particular, it told me that the external drive needed to be in Apple's APFS file system format in order to support an FP domain.  Once I converted the filesystem on my external drive to APFS, Dropbox came up with no issue.

jpallas
Explorer | Level 4

That’s interesting. The external drive with my home directory is an APFS Volume according to Disk Utility.

Need more support?