cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault on Desktop is going away (macOS)

Vault on Desktop is going away (macOS)

Darryl M.4
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Boohoo! Just received this message when starting the macOS upgrade wizard.

I'd just started using this about 6 months ago. Sigh.

47 Replies 47

BlackBikeMedia
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Very frequent vault user here and very disappointed with this decision. 
You are making it harder for desktop user to easily access files on my HD, just so you have more access to my files?

Seriously, I don't see any legit reasoning from your end why you make this change. 
Been a client for 8 years and I'm out 👋😤 

Darkmage4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yeah... I can't even do anything now. I refuse to have to go to my browser, when I could have gone into the files, and then viola! Like magic! Edit or send files to the vault, then download them, and then reupload them through the browser. This is ridiculous. It was easy drag n drop when the vault was open when needed to. Now it's a hassle. If I didn't need this space for my business. I would go to iCloud. Unfortunately my clients files will no longer be stored in a private vault for them and out in the open for anyone to get into, if there should be any vulnerabilities on the web client. At least my other computer hasn't updated, and I will refuse those updates until I no longer can, or until I find something better. A highly sought out feature that was highly regarded just not to long ago. Then some stupid higher up decided to say "Hey! I know how we can piss off the majority of our user base! Lets get rid of the Vault in the folders options and make our users use their browser and make it really inconvenient!" I used to be able to send my own sensitive documents by drag n drop. Now i have to take the extra time to use a feature that wasn't broke. I also moved the Drop Box folder back to Favorites, super inconvenient to put it in "Locations".

If I could do what I could do with iCloud, or Google Drive like I could do on here. I would.
When I do go to the vault, it tells me that I can backup my drive. Then sends me to vault in the Finder to put the code in, Which then goes into a loop of opening Dropbox vault in a browser. What a joke.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it! - Thomas Bertram Lance

BlackBikeMedia
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I agree! I am really happy I did some research and found this post. Also have all my clients shared folders on here and would be really annoying to do these roundabouts for our files. I didn't update yet and really not going to either. 

They are doing it for more **bleep**ing money, all these companies try to squeeze every last dime out of us. 

I really don't get who makes these ridiculous decisions to make it harder and less user friendly to access your own darn files. 

I am going to search for alternatives that is for sure!

bst7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have not accessed my Vault for a couple of months. My account settings or subscriptions have not changed. I can no longer see the Vault - on my Mac, on the web, on my iPhone. It has completely vanished, along with all of the files that I had put there!

The only thing that has changed is the upgrade to the new Dropbox, which has included its "migration" to a new integration with the Mac than it had previously. Has Dropbox deleted the entire contents of my Vault, or are they somewhere else?

bst7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

That is not my experience - not only can I not see the Vault on the Mac, but I do not see it on the Web or on iPhone.

bst7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, but by Vault has completely disappeared on ALL platforms, along with all of the files that I had stored there!

bst7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It seems it has, but have a backup (fortunately)... 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @bst7, let's jump right into this!

It seems rather odd that you can't locate your Backup when you check your account online either. Have you made sure you're logged into the correct Dropbox account? 

Have you checked your event page at all? The Events page at www.dropbox.com/events gives you an overview of all activity in your account including files events (adds/edits/deletes).

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

bst7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, I only have one account. I'm not sure what happened as the Vault I had is no longer visible on the web or mobile platforms. But I'm not going to worry about it as I found a backup of it, so I'm just using that.

It is really not good form to remove features in this half-done way. It should either be there completely or taken away completely. What use would it be for me anyway if it is there on some places, but not on others. Not a good decision in my view to do what you've done, its confusing and puts a burden on users they shouldn't have with a "cross platform" product.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @bst7, I'm going to quote this Help Center article: "Users on the latest Dropbox for macOS update will no longer be able to access Vault through the Dropbox desktop app. You’ll still be able to access Vault on dropbox.com and the Dropbox mobile app."

Now, it's important to note, that Vault requires quite a few steps, in order to be deleted, such as accessing the account's settings, and then deleting it from there. When was the last time you saw your Vault online or on your mobile app? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

beelove Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    BlackBikeMedia Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?