cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault on Desktop is going away (macOS)

Vault on Desktop is going away (macOS)

Darryl M.4
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Boohoo! Just received this message when starting the macOS upgrade wizard.

I'd just started using this about 6 months ago. Sigh.

48 Replies 48

Rickywong
New member | Level 2

What the hell is Dropbox doing? This is a very important feature for users to put sensitive files on Cloud. Actually one of the alternative solutions is Boxcrypt but Dropbox indeed acquired them, and forced them to stop providing service anymore. So, there is basically no strong viable solution available in the market. Is this something Dropbox wants to discourage putting sensitive content on Cloud?

thognar
Explorer | Level 3

So, like everyone else, I've stumbled through being required to access Vault via browser (Grrr...) but how can I edit a simple text file in Vault? Back in good ol' days I could just vi/whatever that file. Now, I click on it in the browser and Dropbox displays it but I can't edit it.  

thognar
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, I understand that I have to access Vault via browser now but how can I edit a text file in the Vault? There doesn't seem to be a way to do this simple action. 

beelove
Helpful | Level 6

ok, jay/dropbox staff- what's the result of your exploration of options that address our concerns?  this is so disappointing and, frankly, unacceptable.  i've been waiting for a year now, to see if this problem would be addressed but now i'm planning on migrating my files to another service.  thanks!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @thognar, it wouldn't be possible to edit files directly in the Vault. You'll need to edit files first on your computer, then upload them into the Vault on the site.

@beelove, what concerns do you have in particular regarding the change to having Vault being based on the Dropbox site?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

BlackBikeMedia
Helpful | Level 5

@Jay,

My guess is that the overall concern is that the update is one of the worst decisions Dropbox could have ever made!! Honestly, what benefit does it bring to work via a browser, where you can even edit a text file,  other than that you now have millions of (very frustrated) people on your website? I am very pleased that I never made the update and I am just closing all your annoying popups to start using Vault. I just can't understand the silliness of this decision. Is there no concern from head-office that this will cause mass sub-cancellations? 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the feedback. As this is a change required by the new File Provider update, there isn't much else we can suggest. 

We do appreciate your comments and take everything into consideration when looking to improve the service.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

beelove
Helpful | Level 6
jay, please don’t answer my comment with a question. i already posted my concerns in an earlier comment from february if 2023. you said a year ago that dropbox was looking into a solution and obviously that’s not true.

Blogography
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I set up a Vault after carefully reading about it on your website... where it is STILL saying I can access my Vault from my Mac Desktop. Now that I've done all this work, I find out that I actually CANNOT access my Vault on my Mac Desktop? Thanks for completely wasting my time. Why would you disallow this? If this promised feature returning? Is there ANY response as to why this happened?Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 11.18.13 AM.jpg

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Blogography New member | Level 2
    beelove Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    BlackBikeMedia Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?