cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why does Apple FileProvider force files into the ~/Library folder which is hidden by default?

Why does Apple FileProvider force files into the ~/Library folder which is hidden by default?

Ben S.31
Helpful | Level 6

Sorry if I’ve misunderstood this article but is it true that Apple’s upcoming FileProvider saves files into the ~/Library folder?

If so, could someone help me understand what the advantage is because it’s a mind-numbingly painful idea for many reasons, one being that ~/Library is hidden by default for most people, another is that all my work data is on a separate disk which there is no way I can change.

And is it really the future of Mac cloud storage moving forward?

Any help much appreciated. Cheers, Ben

13 Replies 13

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Ben S.31, thanks for messaging the Community.

Currently, the behavior is the default for File Provider devices to have the Dropbox folder located in the ~/Library/CloudStorage location, and as such is set by the OS itself.

Regarding the permanence of this change for Mac cloud storage, I'd recommend you contact Apple directly on this matter.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RickCurran
Helpful | Level 5

@jay I think @Ben S.31 perhaps has the same question I have which is whether this is the future for Dropbox on Mac backups? Are we going to be forced to use the Apple FileProvider and subsequently have to have our files in the ~/Library folder?

RickCurran
Helpful | Level 5

@Ben S.31 Having looked over more of the consequences of switching to the FileProvider version of Dropbox shown on the "Expected changes with Dropbox for macOS on File Provider" page I am definitely going to stay with the regular version for the time being. Asides from the shift to the "~/Library/CloudStorage" folder location there are a few other issues that may be issues for my use of Dropbox, hopefully some of those issues will be resolved going forward, but the shift to the new location is definitely the biggest issue for me.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @RickCurran, the updated Dropbox for macOS on File Provider experience was developed to adhere to the requirement as set out by Apple and to ensure the best possible experience for our Mac users long into the future. 

It is safe to assume that our goal is to have the same experience for all our Mac users, so the rollout will slowly take place to all of them.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

RickCurran
Helpful | Level 5

@Jay Thanks, the requirement to move the Dropbox folder to "~/Library/CloudStorage" is pretty big change though, one that means I will be reluctant to upgrade the Dropbox client unless I really have to. As @Ben S.31 points out in his original message the "~/Library" folder location is hidden by default so the change from an easily accessible / visible "~/Dropbox" folder in your user account to what is effectively a hidden location is definitely a step backwards.

I do understand that these changes are prompted by requirements that Apple is making of cloud storage providers due to future OS versions deprecating kernel extensions, but the changes are quite significant and the side-effects / consequences are fairly significant. E.g. for users like Ben where they have their Dropbox folder located on an external drive. I don't think it's that uncommon for people to run Dropbox configured that way. With a 2TB Dropbox account and only a 1TB SSD in my Mac I only make it work by only having a particular folder stored locally on my Mac, the rest of the files stay online only, so if I want all my Dropbox folders locally I would need to use an external drive, so this is a pretty significant shortcoming of FileProvider.

As I understand it I don't believe it is possible to use a symlink to connect the Dropbox folder in "~/Library/CloudStorage" to an external drive, can you confirm that this is the case? What will happen for people who need to keep all of their Dropbox files locally and therefore need to use an external drive? Does this mean Dropbox will be unable to support this configuration?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

This thread should help answer your questions regarding the changes of the external drive usage.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

RickCurran
Helpful | Level 5

@Jay Thanks, I found that thread and had a read through, it doesn't give a definitive answer about external drive support other than Dropbox are looking to support users with that requirement. I did also find this thread which seems to indicate that it might be possible to use a symlink to link the "~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox" location to one on an external drive, so perhaps that may be one solution for those who need an external drive.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Since it's not something official suggested by Dropbox, I couldn't recommend it personally.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

RickCurran
Helpful | Level 5

@Jay Yep, no worries, I understand it's not an officially endorsed solution 🙂 

Need more support?