cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Windows 11 Upgrade and cannot get Dropbox to work properly

Windows 11 Upgrade and cannot get Dropbox to work properly

ajborson
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I recently upgraded my PC desktop to Windows 11.  Dropbox worked perfectly in Windows 10, and when I upgraded my laptop to 11, it was seamless.   On the desktop, I can access Dropbox through the web, but updated files from my other computers do not show up as updated when I load them into their usual application on the desktop! (for example, I can "see" an updated Excel file in the Dropbox viewer, but when I try to open it up in Excel, I only get an older file.)  I think the Dropbox app is not loaded in Windows 11, but when I attempt to install the download (both the regular and the extended), I get an error message that the files needed cannot be accessed.  Is this the problem?  If so, how do I fix it?  The Microsoft Store only has something called Dropbox for S Mode (I don't have S Mode, as far as I know).  Should I use that?  This is both confusing and frustrating.  Help!

54 Replies 54

grov
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hmm. The latest installation of Dropbox now seems to automatically add a .dropbox file to ALL my USB drives, even though I explicitly told it to NOT backup anything - in other words, don't get involved with what I'm doing. This is NOT good - in one case it's vital that my SD card files are in sequential order, and Dropbox auto-adding its own file wrecks this.

ajborson
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I am referring to my laptop, which is running Windows 11.  I have had the desktop version of the app running on it, which has worked well intermittently, and then stops working entirely (and I cannot even get it to load).  When it is not working, as is the case now, I do not see the dropbox icon listed on the bar at the bottom right (where active resident programs usually show up).  When it is not working, I can click on the Dropbox app where ever it presents itself, and after a spinning wheel, nothing happens.  While I can "upload" a file to the web version of Dropbox (manually, and one at a time), I cannot load it through any Office program (which is what I am used to doing, and of course is very convenient).  It's as if it is not loaded on the computer (and perhaps it is not, although it appears to be).  

The very peculiar thing is that it was running two days ago, then when I tried to use it yesterday, all of the above happened.  Nothing new had happened... I hadn't re-started my computer, and as far as I can tell, there wasn't an automatic Windows update.  (I've tried re-starting my computer since this happened, but nothing changed.)

This makes me wonder if Dropbox is not playing well with Windows 11.  It never happened when I had Windows 10 as my OS, but now it occurs every few weeks (and in the past, it would mysteriously resolve on its own).

Please look at earlier posts to this topic, to see what I have tried in the past (none of which seemed to work, by the way).

ajborson
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

And weirdly enough, my absent Dropbox app has reappeared, and is working normally.  No reason.  No re-starts, nothing.  It is maddening when this happens, and a bit disturbing that it fixes itself after a while.

Any thoughts anyone?

ddublu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I upgraded to Win10 Pro from Home, and Dropbox constantly crashes now.  I have tried an advanced uninstall/re-install, to no avail.  I opened a ticket with Dropbox, and they take a whole day to respond to emails; with responses like "Try and advanced uninstall and re-install", "Try re-installing with your Antivirus turned off"... Even after I tell them that the product worked fine before the upgrade to Win10 Pro.  Frustrating as I have about a dozen new machines all needing to be upgraded to Pro, and deployed to users; but they still take a day to respond.  Going to move client off of Dropbox completely and start using SharePoint/Teams more.

grov
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Funny you should say that AJ. Have recently noticed a new addition on the RH side of my Taskbar - a Dropbox icon. My Dropbox is still working OK.

Robert T.16
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This didn't work for me.

grov
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Robert, did you see my earlier comment about finding TWO Dropbox Apps on my Win11 system? When I removed one of them, Dropbox functioned OK, and continues to work OK. (Except for wanting to put a Dropbox link on all my USB drives...)

RTA965
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Did you have to remove the previous Dropbox desktop app - from when you had windows 10?

grov
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi RTA,

No, I removed one of the Dropbox Apps after switching to Win 11. Don't have any problems with Dropbox now.

grov
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Sorry RTA, might not have correctly responded. When I upgraded from Win 10 to Win 11, didn't initially check Dropbox to see if it was working. Was only went I first went to use it in Win 11 that I found it wasn't working, and ended up on this site. I'm not sure what Dropbox App I removed, but it solved the problem. If you are having problems after upgrading to Win 11, may be worthwhile removing whatever Dropbox App you have and loading a new one.

Need more support?