cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Onthe last few startups of my Windows 7 desktop, the EventViewer has shown the following error  and subsequent information logs as the error is corrected by Windows:

Record Number: X 95916
Log Type: Application
Event Type: Error
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 3
Event ID: 320

Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95931
Event Type: Information
Source: ESENT
Event ID: 300

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine is initiating recovery steps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95932
Event ID: 301

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has begun replaying logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS.log.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95933
Event ID: 302

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has successfully completed recovery steps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: i 95915
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 2
Event ID: 258

Pipe server thread started.

It seems as if the Dropbox service may be trying to start too soon as, after the initial error, Windows seems to be able to correct the problem and everything works correctly.  This is a very recent happening and I cannot relate the change to any system changes.  Is there anything I can do to stop the error - if I didn't regularly check the Event Viewer I would be none the wiser so perhaps I'm being too sensitive.

Thanks.

254 Replies 254

MeATDolphin
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My PC freezed today with the Windows login screen before any app was loaded so the problem for me is not DB.

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi BN,

If I understand you correctly, you are to modify code in a future program update so that the Event Viewer will not report the issue as an error but just list it as information during startup.  You will not be removing the issue as you will be continuing your 'optimistic checking' of current development features.  Surely this is the reason developers release beta versions of software so that users are aware nothing is finalised and are happy to co-operate and report back experiences.  Why is Dropbox treating a so-called stable release of a program as a test bed rather than making an additional beta version available for users who would like to help test new developments? 

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi MeATDropbox,

It certainly seems you have additional problems.  If you haven't done so already it might be worth running 'sfc /scannow' and perhaps 'ChkDsk' to see if that helps.  It is also possible that somehow your user account has become corrupted so you may need to see if setting up another user account and logging on to that is successful.  If the latter succeeds you should be able to copy/move all your data files into the new account and then remove the problem account.

Loopback
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

the problem seems to be fixed!

After the last DB update to V.20.4.19 the DbxSvc service starts without any error, at least at my Win7-x64 system.

Loopback
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

... the error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) ..." is still there, but now it's classified as "information" only.

NickG_UK
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Do you know when this will be fixed? It currently logs this error once per second on the event log, which makes it very difficult to find any other useful information. If DropBox needs to log something as often as every second, it should perhaps only do it when a debug flag is set or perhaps to it's own log file somewhere.

Nick

Loopback
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Are you sure that service DbxSvc is the culprit for producing an event "-2147024894" once per second?

On my Win7(x64) sytem I see this event at level "Information" (EventID 320) within the Application branch of the event log only once every time the DbxSvc service starts (that is after a system boot), and it always comes along with two other informational DbxSvc log entries: EventID 336 (Service started (1.0.22.0).) and EventID 258 (Pipe server thread started.)

NickG_UK
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes - it's done it once a second all day so far. Making the whole event log totally useless for me. 

Loopback
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My DB version was 27.4.22, hence I just updated to the latest version 28.4.14 in order to check if I can see the same behaviour that you observe - fortunately EventID 320 still only happens once per DbxSvc start.

The difference is that on my system event 320 says "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894). The system cannot find the file specified." while the same event on your system shows a deviating explanatory text: "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894), retrying in 1000 milliseconds". (Look at the "Recovery" tab of the DbxSvc service (right click on "Properties") in service manager: Any non default settings?)

If you use an older DB version and an update to the latest doesn't help,  my workaround (described here) might possibly be helpful to you.

Nocturnal
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Problem return yesterday.

Dropbox 29.3.19. Windows 10 x64. The problem is absolutely the same as all people higher have.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

katnappa Explorer | Level 3
    Ross_S Dropbox Staff
    Kester Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?