cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Onthe last few startups of my Windows 7 desktop, the EventViewer has shown the following error  and subsequent information logs as the error is corrected by Windows:

Record Number: X 95916
Log Type: Application
Event Type: Error
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 3
Event ID: 320

Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95931
Event Type: Information
Source: ESENT
Event ID: 300

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine is initiating recovery steps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95932
Event ID: 301

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has begun replaying logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS.log.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95933
Event ID: 302

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has successfully completed recovery steps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: i 95915
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 2
Event ID: 258

Pipe server thread started.

It seems as if the Dropbox service may be trying to start too soon as, after the initial error, Windows seems to be able to correct the problem and everything works correctly.  This is a very recent happening and I cannot relate the change to any system changes.  Is there anything I can do to stop the error - if I didn't regularly check the Event Viewer I would be none the wiser so perhaps I'm being too sensitive.

Thanks.

254 Replies 254

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

This latest issue is so frustrating and has been going on far too long without any interjection from Dropbox personnel.  Orion44's image of the ostrich burying its head in the sand just about sums up the attitude of the company.

I've disabled DbxSvc to bring back some normality to the Event Viewer - I want to be able to use it to monitor 'real' issues rather than watch a continuous flow of Dropbox errors designated as 'Information'.  The disabling does not appear to have stopped me using Dropbox so I will leave things as they now are until this issue is resolved. 

Coincidentally, I've recently removed Microsoft's OneDrive from my system as it became rather unreliable - the final straw was when it went into continuous synchronisation mode and hogged so much of system resources the computer became unusable.  I'm not to keen on Google's ethics so I don't want to use Google Drive but with Dropbox becoming a bit of a pain, I will need to investigate alternatives.

mat-glock
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

OneDrive is one of the most consistent performers in the sync space.  Your initial sync might take some resources, if you have a ton of files to move, but ongoing it simply won't.  It was made to run on computers small as Intel's memory sticks (computers that fit in your hand).  

On top of that, OneDrive works with online Word/Excel/etc much better.  Not to mention the great apps with Android and IOS.  

Bottom line is that OneDrive reliably works on at least 500 million computers, without the issues that Dropbox ignores.  That says a lot...

DropBox can take their attitude and shove it.  

Nocturnal
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I think we need just tech support help or problem decision not advertising

mat-glock
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

People need solutions.... reliable solutions.  

No one "advertising".  DropBox has dropped the box so people need to understand their options.  

How long as this issue been around?  Honestly, no one can defend that!  Even if tech support arrives now, I would not trust the product... their arrogance is appalling.  

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

mat-glock was not advertising but responding to a point I made when I expressed frustration with an alternative to Dropbox.  I welcome his opinion of OneDrive; alternative views and shared experience of others is important for informed decision making.   Yes this is a Dropbox forum but when Dropbox fails, then forum members are entitled to share experience of alternative cloud storage services - Dropbox needs to address the problems and be aware that users owe them no permanent loyalty.

I removed OneDrive from my system because on several occasions over the last year it went down for several days.  This culminated in a down period of about two weeks last month although this was not a global situation.  Microsoft help proved ineffective, implying, by their suggestions as to what I should do, that my system was at fault but clearly it was not - OneDrive began working normally out of the blue and not because of any action I had taken - obviously an update corrected the issue but there was neither explanation nor acknowledgement from Microsoft.  Then recently I experienced the continuous synchronisation problem and I had to employ a forced system shutdown after half an hour or so of waiting for it to settle.  By now I had had enough - I only synch a few files and none are very big (just small spreadsheets and textual documents) so, even if OneDrive was resynchronising the lot, it does not explain the continuous running and system resource hogging.  

I appreciate my experience may not match that of the vast majority of OneDrive users and that this is a Dropbox forum too - I mentioned it here because the problems now with Dropbox, which for some time has served me well bar minor issues, are making me wonder if I need cloud storage at all.  I already backup important files in several ways at home.  True, cloud storage has certain advantages particularly allowing access to datafiles from other computers in other locations and, in theory, keeping files safe when a disaster at home could destroy all home stored copies but is all the hassle worth it?

Disabling DbxSvc certainly has made The Event Viewer more stable and readable for me.  I will carry on with Dropbox in the short term as I can still use it but Dropbox really needs to show a little more respect for its users, keep them informed when there are issues and work to resolve the issues as quickly as possible.

CC2
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Sounds like this error is deemd to be harmless however its plugging up my event viewer log with an entry every second. I'm currently developing a windows service so It quite annoying and I'm sure its affecting system performance at that frequency. Would be nice to see this fixed meanwhile I'll explore the work around.

Thx CC

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I posted a reply to this effect earlier but it seems to have gone astray.

mat-glock was not advertising but responding to my remark about my experience with OneDrive.  Surely he has a right to do this on this forum - it may be a Dropbox forum but issues with Dropbox will naturally make one consider alternative cloud-based storage solutions.  In my case I used OneDrive as an additional means of cloud storage with Dropbox. 

I was unlucky and OneDrive let me down several times this year when it went down culminating in a two week loss of service last month.  On top of this OneDrive went into continuous synchronisation mode last week, hogged system resources making my computer unusable and forcing me to undertake a forced exit.  The few lightweight files I was storing in OneDrive did not explain why OneDrive should be synchronising files for over a half hour before I gave up.  But mat-glock was right to express the opinion that OneDrive is popular and effective for the vast majority of users - my experience was obviously not typical but enough to put me off.  Unfortunately the Dropbox problem sprang up immediately so another cloud-based storage facility is proving troublesome leading me to consider alternatives.

However, the current problem with Dropbox is not stopping me using the service even though it is a nuisance.   I have disabled the DbxSvc service with no problems in my use of Dropbox so CC2 may like to consider that option to allow his or her continued development of the new Windows service without the continuous Dropbox 'information' reports dominating the Event Viewer window.

What is especially annoying is the seemingly disrespectful attitude of Dropbox to their users.  This forum has highlighted a problem and I expect the issue has been raised elsewhere too, but they have not had the courtesy to acknowledge the issue here on a forum specifically for their users.   They have caused the issue, it was not there a short while back but has occurred after changes they have made.  Surely they owe us some sort of comment, an apology and an explanation of what they intend to do to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

This is the third attempt I've made to make this post. On the last two occasions my post was added to the end of the thread when I clicked the 'Post' button but were not there the next time I logged in. My posts contained no obnoxious or offensive wording so I am at a loss as to why they were removed. I will try once more:

Firstly, I do not see mat-glock's reply to my earlier successful post as advertising. I explained why I removed OneDrive from my system and mat-glock countered with a very supportive comment for OneDrive. That was fair enough. My own experience of OneDrive is clearly not the same as the vast majority of users world wide. The comments are valid to be included in this forum - it may be a Dropbox forum but if Dropbox users are having problems then it is natural to consider alternatives and experience of such alternatives, good or bad, is appropriate for comment here. My OneDrive experience was sufficient to put me off it - unfortunately the latest OneDrive problem I had more or less coincided with this latest Dropbox issue.

Fortunately the Dropbox problem does not make it unusable - it is a nuisance and quite a serious one considering its impact on the Event Viewer. The Event Viewer is a useful tool but not so when its window is hijacked by continually repeating 'Information' reports relating to the Dropbox service. I just disabled the DbxSvc so that the problem does not manifest in the Event Viewer window any more - this action appears not to have caused any difficulties for me in using Dropbox. This action might well help CC2 continue his or her development of the windows service mentioned.

I am surprised that Dropbox are either not aware or are ignoring this thread. Surely, if they respect their users, they would ensure a representative would post some information here, explain what is being done and give a likely time plan for resolution.

Wim
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's not limited to Windows 7, also Windows 10 releases experience this wel known issue.

Beside that it fills our eventlogs on every Windows device running the Dropbox service, it consumes resources and including draining my battery power. Of course this will be low, but still it does.

My criteria is that serious parties, I assume Dropbox is one of them, should solve know issues that consume valuable, technical and operational resources. 

asynchronos
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

(This is in reply to the accepted "solution" by a Dropboxer early in the thread.)

Now in 29.4.20, it logs similar "Failed to connect to the driver: -2147024894, retrying in 1000 milliseconds", *every second*.  This drowns out any useful events from other apps that I might try to troubleshoot.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

katnappa Explorer | Level 3
    Ross_S Dropbox Staff
    Kester Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?