cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: HELP! DROPBOX - what can we do??

Won't stop indexing on Mac

msheppard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the mac dropbox update and the application began indexing my files. It has now been stuck for the last few days. I can only access some files. Many are now only available through dropbox.com and not in my app. If I add files to dropbox.com they are added to the indexing queue of the desktop app, but no progress is made regarding indexing. I've tried signing out, quitting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. I've seen similar threads, but no solutions have worked for me. Any help is much appreciated.

331 Replies 331

acej
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Downgrade and reinstall the old version, that was the only solution that worked for me after much loss.

saschana
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, but for which: the mac OS or the dropbox? 

saschana
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It seems pretty hard to find an older version of the desktop app. Do you have a link for that? Thanks

acej
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I think I had it backed up and reinstalled it from my external hard drive, but try a search.

jasonlekberg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I just went through the help desk.  They told me to turn off firewalls and anti-virus (neither of which I have) and closed the ticket.  HA!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

For anyone affected by this, could you please send us a screenshot of the app's status and version as shown in your menu bar? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

monak100
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

me too.  Resubscribed to Dropbox, downloaded app (v 175.4.5569) and using on Chrome. stuck on indexing 18,529 files.  View synch issues not showing anything.  Not allowing me to sign out nor change back from 'make available offline' to 'make available online only' of a big folder of photos.  Incredibly indredibly frustrating.  Have tried logging out, restart, clean my mac, pausing & restarting indexing.... any other ideas? Please! 

OK - gone through the steps again.  stopped synch and back ups. Turned off documents available online only.  signed out. Then when signed back in, seems to be working and indexing.

jasonlekberg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I finally got through this with support.  They sent me personalized steps that required fully uninstalling and deleting the old program from my mac.  It won't let me post them here for some reason.

acej
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hello, why can't you post the instructions?

TreeSawDesign
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the same issues with my DB stuck at indexing 1,897 files for the last 2 weeks.

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 10.26.01 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-06-05 at 10.52.08 PM.png

Need more support?