cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't stop indexing

Won't stop indexing on Mac

msheppard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the mac dropbox update and the application began indexing my files. It has now been stuck for the last few days. I can only access some files. Many are now only available through dropbox.com and not in my app. If I add files to dropbox.com they are added to the indexing queue of the desktop app, but no progress is made regarding indexing. I've tried signing out, quitting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. I've seen similar threads, but no solutions have worked for me. Any help is much appreciated.

331 Replies 331

Teddy73
Collaborator | Level 9

@cloudres 

Good point, of us "sufferers" should receive some type of compensation.

It is over a month that we have not been able to use the service we pay for, it has caused me a lot of lot time (which equates to lost income), we have also been providing Dropbox with feedback about the problem.

Personally, I have paid for 2TB of iCloud, Google Drive and OneDrive, to test them and see which can be a viable alternative to Dropbox. My experience is that they all work in terms of syncing files across multiple computers, but none come close to being as good as Dropbox (like in the good old days when Dropbox just worked).

I will end on an optimistic note. In the last few days, it seems that Dropbox engineers are now acknowledging what the problem is, this wasn't the case previously, so hopefully they are getting close to a solution 🙏

saggyhaggis
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

Your statement is a bit unclear.

Are you basically saying that it is safe for Dropbox users upgrading from Mac OS 13.6 Ventura to Sonoma 14.1?

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi @saggyhaggis,

Yes, our engineering team has verified that macOS 14.1 will not cause users to resync, as macOS 14.0 did. Since there will be no resyncing, no users upgrading to 14.1 will get stuck in this resync, which is what happened to many users in this thread.

Regards,

Ben

Teddy73
Collaborator | Level 9

@BenDBX 

Hi Ben,

After I experienced the "stuck indexing" problem when I upgraded to Sonoma 14.0 I did full erase and reinstall of Ventura 13.6 and last week upgraded to 13.6.1.

The problem of "stuck indexing" persists.

So, if I now upgrade to Sonoma 14.1 will this solve my "stuck indexing" problem?

Lastly, I really appreciate you recent posting here, myself and I am sure many others have been wanting more discussion from Dropbox about this problem, so thank you 🙂

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi @Teddy73,

Thanks for reaching out. Upgrading to macOS 14.1 will not cause resyncing, but it will not necessarily 'unstick' users who became stuck during resync upon upgrading to macOS 14.0.

For users who are stuck on resyncing, you'll need to contact support for assistance. Resolving this issue will require account-specific troubleshooting, which is why we can't provide further assistance here on the Community forum.

If there is a single process or a fix implemented on our end that resolves this issue for all users, I will update this thread with that information. However, I can't guarantee that will be the case, which is why users will need individual support.

Thanks,

Ben

Teddy73
Collaborator | Level 9

@BenDBX 

Thanks for the quick reply here Ben.

I will upgrade to Sonoma 14.1 on one of my Mac's and hope that I have some success. If not, I'll be in contact for individual support.

Once again, thank you for being proactive here, it is greatly appreciated!

Josephus F.
Helpful | Level 5

Is there any limit for a topic how long it can be ???

I cannot follow it any more, too long

pooya
Helpful | Level 5

I'm on macOS Sonoma and my dropbox app version is V187.3.5526. The app was stuck at Indexing for months but I didn’t notice. I’ve tried quitting, restarting, signing out, reinstalling the same version but still stuck. I also upgraded to Sonoma 14.1 but still nothing.

KarenSW
Helpful | Level 6

I don't know if this is related because my dropbox is syncing on Sonoma 14 (though rather slow).  But I share CorelDraw files between my mac and my PC using dropbox.  When I save a CorelDraw file on my mac, I have no thumbnail image on the mac, and no preview image either.  When I view those files from dropbox on my PC, I see the thumbnail of the saved Mac file, but not the preview.  If I resave the file on PC, then I can see the preview on PC.  But still no thumbnail OR preview on the Mac. 

So why isn't mac saving the preview for CDR files?  And why don't I have thumbnails on the mac for CDR files (I do for jpg and other files).  All it shows it a blank white paper with the corner folded for the thumbnail.

ClintLugert
Helpful | Level 6

It still having the problem on 14.1 is not a solution and should not be marked as such. 

I've been with DropBox since the beginning, but the app breaking over the last major OS issues has me planning to change services. Sad to see the poor job you've done lately. 

Need more support?