cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't stop indexing

Won't stop indexing on Mac

msheppard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the mac dropbox update and the application began indexing my files. It has now been stuck for the last few days. I can only access some files. Many are now only available through dropbox.com and not in my app. If I add files to dropbox.com they are added to the indexing queue of the desktop app, but no progress is made regarding indexing. I've tried signing out, quitting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. I've seen similar threads, but no solutions have worked for me. Any help is much appreciated.

331 Replies 331

OceanSunrise
Collaborator | Level 8
@Teddy43 To be honest with you I don’t remember. But currently I’m on the latest software version of Mac 14.1 and I have two MacBooks and one PC and finally all are syncing fine with everything. Also I noticed in Preferences make files available offline was turned off for some reason so I turned it back on. Check that out as well.

Foxapet
Helpful | Level 5

@BenDBX 

I totally agree with Cloudres's comment, 
This situation is totally abnormal. We pay for professional subscriptions, at relatively high prices, to guarantee security and professional use of Dropbox.
That a major bug can last 1 month without resolution, without any message from Dropbox, just totally standard answers on a forum is shameful.
Worse still, the recommendation to contact support directly -> The first thing we're asked to do is restart the computer...
I'm going to look into changing my storage solution.

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

@Foxapet thank you for reinforcing the message.

I'll add another point, while we're at it. As suggested, three days ago, I reached out to customer support regarding a single issue, hoping for a resolution.

The person I spoke to was very kind. They acknowledged that the problem is, of course, known. After the customary questions about the DropBox version and requests for screenshots to verify the issue, I was asked to confirm which authorized device is affected by the problem. I was promised an email contact with a technician, which, however, hasn't arrived yet. I sincerely hope the contact I receive will be resolving!

Needless to say, I'm frustrated, and I expect some form of compensation for not being able to use the services I paid for for a month (as of today).

digows
Helpful | Level 5

they just closed my ticket as resolved and refused to refund my money. now they dont even reply. now i have bunch of versions of dropbox, backups of external drives still dont work. useless service, very disappointed. workflow is ruined 

and i paid year subscription and now im stuck with this crap

FrankieAnn
Helpful | Level 6

I logged off and logged back on, as Dropbox had instructed about 4-6 weeks ago and my problem resolved completely.  I continue on Sonoma 14.0 without any issues.  Did the issue arise with an upgrade to Sonoma 14.1?

TY Dropbox for working with us, your clients who value and need Dropbox.

Kindest regards, Frankie

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

@FrankieAnn in my case as well, email support suggested that I log out and then log back in, taking care to create a backup of unsynchronized files and being prepared for the possibility of momentary conflict copies. How did it go in your situation?

At this point, it remains to be understood how to obtain a list of unsynchronized files that I've added to Dropbox in the various folders in the meantime. Additionally, I would genuinely appreciate reassurance that I won't lose any already synchronized files, as I've come across a mention of this issue once or twice on the forum.

Roberto B.9
Explorer | Level 4

Log-off or unlink?

Why a log-off and log-in could create some problem?

thx

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

@Roberto B.9 the process for unlink your device essentially involves logging out and then logging back in through the preferences of the Dropbox app on your Mac.

Konigi
Helpful | Level 6

I just tried the tip to log off and log in again. Now Dropbox is trying to make a duplicate folder, downloading all of my files again, while the former Dropbox folder is now named "Dropbox (2023-11-07)".

I don't like that. I don't think it's a fix. And I don't have the space on my hard drive to keep the two versions side by side.

What a mess this has been... and no answer from the technicians for 4 days.

OceanSunrise
Collaborator | Level 8
@Konigo that’s fine! Same thing happened to me. I just dragged the old Dropbox folder with the (date) to the desktop. And let it sit there for a week before I deleted that folder. Same thing happened to me and somehow my issue is fixed. Let it play out.
Need more support?