cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: all 'FILE EXPLORER' FILE icons flashing whenever dropbox is running

all 'FILE EXPLORER' FILE icons flashing whenever dropbox is running

alan78
New member | Level 2

As of today drop box is causing the file icons in ANY/ALL open explorer windows to flash constantly between the correct icon image and the default windows 'no icon' icon.

if i KILL the dropbox process magically all the icon switching stops, thi sis constant and doesnt seem to stop!

What can i do?

I also seem to have 3 DropBoxThumnbailGenerator.exe processes running?

Thanks

83 Replies 83

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi All, thanks for all your reports on this!

As we'll need to look into this matter with device specific information at this point, I'd recommend that you contacted our support team providing as much information as possible.

Should anyone of you face any troubles doing so, please let us know here so we can reach out via email to the address that's connected to your Community's profile. 

Thanks for your ongoing patience and cooperation!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

megawhite
Collaborator | Level 8

Thanks for the response but I cannot see how to open a case.  The options are Chatbot or Community.

The same symptoms are occurring on two devices of mine, one running Windows 10 and one running Windows 8.1 using a free Dropbox account.  Remember this is not our problem, it's a significant problem with Dropbox software and it is impacting many of your users.  As a software devleoper I am more than happy to help you to get this fixed, so please help me to help you.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thank you for the quick response @megawhite.

As promised, I just reached out via email so we can look further into this.

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox for my message and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks again! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

clevercrow1
Helpful | Level 6

Please send me a magic link too... BUT just don't expect me to click it.

I've already raced round and round the "tech support" tree for days on end with ever increasing time consuming requests to "stand on my head and spit nickles" without any real help.  

Jeez, this has been reported by dozens of users and probably affects hundreds of users and has been experimented on by tech support with NO PROGRESS since first reported.

Are you going to tell us poor suffering end users that you have actually fixed ANY user's problems with blinking icons in all the years it's been reported?  If you have, then POST THE SOLUTION HERE... and otherwise, how about tech support SOLVE THE PROBLEM inhouse, and then post the product with necessary improvements to ALL USERS who have wasted hours and been frustrated by this DEFECT for month after month after month.  

Casper777
Collaborator | Level 10

@clevercrow1 Thought you moved to OneDrive 4x weeks ago? Or was that @clevercrow ? I so, why do you keep on posting here using CAPITAL LETTERS that some people can interperate as SHOUTING?

I use Dropbox and Dropbox Business on 3x different computers. All the latest versions of Dropbox (Beta) and Windows 10. No Explorer icons flickering. Did it occur to you that it could be related to the hardware you are using? My Surface laptop is 2 years old, the HP one 8 years old and the Desktop 1 year old. But all work just fine. Sounds like an incompatible driver issue or something. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Regards

Casper

megawhite
Collaborator | Level 8

Many thanks Walter, I have just responded to your email.  I look forward to assisting diagnosis.

Andrew

CorradoBarbero
Helpful | Level 5
@Casper777, I am quite sure that @clevercrow1 used capital letters to "bold" or "highlight" specific words. Not sure on PC, but on my Android phone there's no way to make text in bold or italics in this support tool.
Don't get nervous.
THIS IS SHOUTHING.
THIS is highlighting a word.

Casper777
Collaborator | Level 10

Hi CorradoBarbero

Thanks for the email. 🙂

All is good. Been a hectic few days and I may have misunderstood the note. 

Regards

Casper

clevercrow1
Helpful | Level 6

Dear Casper,

Sadly my email program choked when I tried to respond to your message a few days ago.  Since you asked me several questions and made several assumptions about my situation I wanted to still post this as I believe you were sincere in your quiries.

Bounced email follows...

Casper

I do have two accounts (clevercrow and clevercrow1) since my wife and I both have separate accounts.

I don't shout but do try to draw attention to the important points as many people are poor readers. And as an aside, shouting would be appropriate given the lack of support provided by Dropbox TS.

I also have used both Dropbox and Dropbox Business.

I also have a set of 4 different computers plus the two of my wife of different ages and types of machines. All are up to date and ALL SIX exhibit the same flashing icon issues. THAT alone should tell you and tech support that the problem is NOT on my end.

Am I using OneDrive, yes... Correct. Why do I comment here? Because I still receive postings from the community, because I have a time investment in this discussion, and because it is an OPEN forums and I wish to support any poor soul who is struggling with this issue.  I am still a Dropbox user and I am naturally curious about information pertaining to the problem that for so long plagued me.

Your DIAGNOSIS is incorrect as I previously went through all that nonsense (drivers, etc., etc.) with Dropbox tech support during the last two years.

Thank you for your interest in my personal situation with Dropbox. I assure you, the problem is widespread and persistent and much more than a nuisance.

Just the thoughts of a software developer and professor of chemical and computer engineering for 38 years.

If you would allow me to conjecture... Sounds to me that you are LUCKY... Continued good luck to you using Dropbox.

clevercrow and clevercrow1

pepehands
Helpful | Level 5

We all envy your lack of soul-crushing icon overlay refreshing.

It happens on multiple machines, very different specs. 

It's clearly a conflict - and clearly doesn't happen on every system (because Dropbox employees would have fixed it by now).

The problem is Dropbox takes no action in resolving it, but rather runs us through hoops to do testing that is their responsibility. It could, and likely is, technically, 'caused' by a conflict with some other software - but this is something Dropbox is PAID to find through TESTING - and RESOLVE BEFORE shipping and charging customers for broken features.

And yes, I am shouting (not at you, or even support) because it makes me angry to be treated as a beta tester and patronized by a company that gives it's support staff (with whom I sympathize - support is not the problem here) inadequate guidance - and they are left to mindlessly run us all through a list of 'fixes' that waste even more of our collective time.

Just read through the thread. This is a ridiculous problem, inexcusably handled. And, honestly, quite simply resolved - for those who have the problems -- at the very least, allow users to DISABLE the feature and get on with our lives.

Until then, we either suffer, move on or hack our registries, and Drobox becomes more of a curse word than a trusted brand.

Need more support?